We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advise please re starting to let new rescue cat outside

(16 Posts)
Sunflower6 Mon 17-Oct-16 22:14:26

Hi, I have a rescue cat aged about 1. I have had her six weeks and she has been inside all that time as she wasn't spayed or vaccinated. She is now spayed and vaccinated and can go outside. Do I let her out just for short spells with me staying with her? Also the cat flap is at the front of the house do I teach her to use that first or familiarise her with the rear garden first? There is no cat flap at rear of house as there is a conservatory and then patio doors so not really practical for cat flap.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Oct-16 00:17:36

Is she anxious to get out?

Sunflower6 Tue 18-Oct-16 06:45:32

Not desperate I think she's been an outdoor cat as she'd had kittens when she was found abandoned. My other cat is an outdoor cat. She does spend time sitting looking out of the windows.

thecatneuterer Tue 18-Oct-16 11:59:32

Is it safe at the front? Is there access from there to the back garden or is it onto a road?

Sunflower6 Tue 18-Oct-16 15:41:19

The front leads onto a road, she can access the back from the front if climbs over the gate - that is what my other cat does. i have had 3 cats here previously here with no issue I'm just extra protective with this one as she's been a rescue cat

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 18-Oct-16 17:19:48

I think it depends on the nature of the cat. My rescue cat was desparate to get out, we kept her in for 3 weeks then let her go, she was very good and went to sniff/explore a bit then came back in, as if she was learning her routes home! I would recommend locking her in overnight, I used to lock the catflap while she was eating tea, at least to begin with.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Oct-16 17:25:18

I've always gone out with mine - the first few times anyway - and done, say, some gardening. It's probably me being a bit 'nannyish' but I still have the feeling that it helps to fix the surroundings in their brain. Perhaps there's even some residual scent?

I'd not force her, though. Winter is nearly upon us and while she may like looking out of the window, she might just prefer to stay inside in the warm and do it. smile

Will she come if you call her do you think?

thecatneuterer Tue 18-Oct-16 19:10:18

I'd be inclined to only let her out the back to begin with then. But ideally she should get to know about the cat flap first, but I don't like the sound of it at the front.

Is there really no way you could put one at the back? They can go in a wall, or even in a patio door (but admittedly that would be e

thecatneuterer Tue 18-Oct-16 19:10:57

oops, don't know what happened there ...

... that would be expensive).

Sunflower6 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:25:53

The issue with a cat flap at the back is it would mean one into the conservatory and then another one into the patio door.

I stood with her in my arms on the doorstep tonight to let her have a see outside and she hissed and wanted to come in she was nervous. She hisses when frightened. She has been in the conservatory for the first time today and was quite interested in the garden so perhaps I'll start with that if she wants to.

The other issue is although she is microchipped I would like to have a collar on her when she goes out but she won't let me put one on her.

Wolfiefan Tue 18-Oct-16 22:29:17

I wouldn't use a collar. Collar injuries are horrid and even with a quick release I worry they will get caught.
I always let mine out hungry and in the morning. That way I can safely get them in before dark. Get cat used to coming to a whistle to be fed or coming when you rattle treats.

MsMims Wed 19-Oct-16 00:33:18

Agree with wolfie about giving the collar a miss.

Before we let ours go out we popped them outside in a dog crate regularly, and then walked them outside on a harness before letting them have total free reign. Our outdoor cats have all been rescues so didn't want to take any chances that they might have panicked and legged it when first taken outside.

Definitely don't take her on the front if she's nervous, she could run into the road if she freaks out, totally unaware of what's around her.

thecatneuterer Wed 19-Oct-16 13:22:02

I would only use a collar if you are intending to use it with a Loc8tor chip. Otherwise it's not worth the risk.

Sunflower6 Wed 19-Oct-16 16:20:10

Our cat flap works on one of those magnetic mice things that you put on a cats collar, the collar idea was more in case she got lost or ran off but she is chipped. I could replace cat flap with one of those microchip ones I'd read reviews that they are a bit noisy and was worried it would frighten her.
I did also wonder about putting a cat flap in my wooden garden gate if that's possible to make it easier for to get from the cat flap at the front to the garden at the back.
I put her on our patio by the conservatory today and she just ran straight back inside. It would be tricky to keep her as an indoor cat as my other cat goes outside and I'd worry about her getting out his cat flap and getting lost.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Oct-16 17:38:50

It sounds as if she's not keen. Maybe her experiences of outside weren't too positive when she had them? Some cats just like being indoors. smile

user1474907171 Wed 19-Oct-16 20:07:32

If she isn't trying to get outside I would keep her as an indoor cat, as long as you can give her enough attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now