Talk

Advanced search

Tonkinese

(10 Posts)
throwinshapes Sun 16-Oct-16 21:42:03

Any Tonk owners?
We are intending to get two kittens soon (to be stay-in cats). However, someone has said that Tonks are smelly.
Is it true?

TiggyD Sun 16-Oct-16 21:45:34

I have friends who breed with them. They have around 8 and I've never noticed them to be particularly smelly. Shorter fur than most cats must help a lot.

throwinshapes Sun 16-Oct-16 21:54:30

Thanks Tiggy. That's good to hear. 'Spesh with 8 of them!
Can't wait!!

Potentialmadcatlady Sun 16-Oct-16 22:01:33

Nope not smelly...mine were very clean..no accidents at all and I trained them to use human toilet when they were big enough...clever and inquisitive and fairly lively...like high up places- untop of door frames etc...liked playing fetch and came when called by their names...

TiggyD Sun 16-Oct-16 22:01:39

I'll ask about any issues with them smell wise when I pop over to see them tomorrow.

They are very delicate and pretty cats aren't they!

throwinshapes Sun 16-Oct-16 22:05:35

Ah thanks for replies.
Getting very excited about the soon to be arrivals.
Any other tips from you lovely Tonk-lovers? smile

TiggyD Mon 17-Oct-16 18:13:52

Had a chat with my friends, (and lots of strokes of their cats) and they said they don't smell, though on the infrequent occasions that they fart, they really stink.

throwinshapes Mon 17-Oct-16 21:34:06

Thanks again Tiggy. cake

petitemom Sun 23-Oct-16 22:22:55

We have one -- she's gorgeous, playful but not demanding, loves cuddling and being with us, and definitely not smelly. I don't notice any bad farts...

petitemom Mon 24-Oct-16 10:01:53

Thinking some more about farts, I'd suggest using grain-free cat food, like Acana, Nature's Menu and Applaws. Ours likes cat grass (Suttons Seeds on Amazon), which probably helps too.

Lots of toys, tunnels and things to climb will keep indoor cats occupied, and which toys they like will depend on the cat. I improvise a bit by cutting out holes in egg cartons and discarded boxes to make treat puzzles.

We use a Furminator (the short hair deshedding tool for small cats) once or twice a week, though not sure if it's too big for kittens, plus a claw clipper on occasion -- that's pretty much it for grooming,

Let us know how the kittens are doing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now