We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Outdoor cat suddenly weeing in the house

(14 Posts)
IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Fri 14-Oct-16 18:39:07

Cat1 is about 18months old and has been going outside for almost a year. We haven't had a litter tray in the house for about 10 months now.

I noticed the other day he was scratching at the bathroom mat. I didn't think anything of it.

Earlier this week I smelt the familiar smell of cat wee in the spare bedroom but couldn't pinpoint the location. Then on Wednesday I was in the shower, cat came in started scratching at the mat again then began to squat - I immediately chased him off.

We've begun shutting all of the bedroom doors when we're at work, but came home today and the house stinks of wee sad again, I can't pinpoint where he's doing it.

Why has he suddenly started doing this? Could it be a simple case of the change in the weather? Although he's very much a homeboy, he does venture out often!

I really don't want to go back to using a litter tray!

cozietoesie Fri 14-Oct-16 18:53:32

How does he get in and out of the house? Do you have a microchip cat flap?

(I'm assuming he's neutered?)

herewegoagain4749 Fri 14-Oct-16 19:03:43

Lots of reasons, and overall message is take him to your vet!
Possible causes: urinary tract infection, bladder problem, medical problem leading to increased drinking and therefore more peeing etc etc. Behaviourally, if all ok medically, it could be that he's been spooked buy new cats in his environment, leading him to feel the need to scent-mark his 'core domain'.
If medical problems are ruled out (and no, he might not show signs of being 'ill' even if he is, and needs examined anyway), your vet can talk you through behavioural options.

Good luck!

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Fri 14-Oct-16 19:21:22

He seems happy enough, eating and drinking as normal. He has a cat flap which isn't controlled, so we have had the odd visitor- could it just be scent marking?

He's neutered

There's no poo, so I don't think it's an issue going outside.

He has a brother who lives here part time hmm Pops in once or twice a week then buggers off again. They get on fine when cat2 is here and he recognises who he is.

PoppyPicklesPenguin Fri 14-Oct-16 19:25:10

Is it a new mat?

My girl cat loves a backed mat, certain shower mats, and door mats. She is an indoor cat and has clean boxes but if I buy a certain type of mat or rug (has like a plastic type back to it) she makes a beeline for it.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Oct-16 19:42:55

You can't even be sure that it's all down to him - while you're at work, I'm afraid that your house might be Party Central for all the Big Boys of the neighbourhood ! wink

I'd vet him to check that there's nothing up physically - as herewego suggested - buy a chip cat flap (having him chipped if he's not already), and put a tray in temporarily for him. I think you're right, though. It might well be scent marking, stimulated perhaps by 'visitors' in your absence. You need to make the house safe for him anyway.

You can buy 'black light' things to check for urine before getting the cleaning materials out. Remember to check walls etc as well as flat floor-type surfaces.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Oct-16 19:44:40

PS - if his brother's chipped, you can allow him to come in via a chip reading flap as well. Basically, it would allow in authorised entrants. It's just the others who would be barred.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Oct-16 19:51:21

PPS - if you're absolutely sure that he genuinely likes his brother and hasn't fallen out with him. That can happen, I'm afraid, especially if there are other cats around to influence the dynamics.

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Fri 14-Oct-16 19:54:22

Poor lad, he's just a wee boy. I hope the neighbourhood bullies don't descend on him while we're out.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 14-Oct-16 20:09:15

My cat will go into any cat flap that's open. We've seen him do it.

cozietoesie Fri 14-Oct-16 20:22:02

It strikes me that ASBO would probably go in anywhere if he wanted to - open or not! grin

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 14-Oct-16 20:26:20

Well yes which is how he set the house alarm off all day.

The weathers changed so I'd try a tray, Amazon Black Friday deals usually have microchip cat flaps for about £50.

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Sat 15-Oct-16 19:24:57

Well, we've stocked up on the cat litter again and shut all the doors upstairs. Pricing up microchip cat flaps and we'll see how he gets on - otherwise it's a trip to the V-E-T

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:13:06

I find ours will not use a tray for months, then start using it overnight. There's no pattern to it.

Sometimes he gets in there for the craic & to spread sawdust paw prints everywhere.

I think Black Friday is the end of November.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now