My cat's new best friend/toy

(12 Posts)
Katymac Wed 12-Oct-16 11:21:49

<sigh>

& he keeps bringing to me so I can play with it too!

cozietoesie Wed 12-Oct-16 12:14:48

Firstcat was a seal point - a very very bright one from an old fashioned line - and he used to 'fetch'.

Relentlessly. grin

Katymac Wed 12-Oct-16 12:55:25

He tries to put in in my mouth....

I think he needs more toys but he doesn't like stuffed mice or ribbons to chase

cozietoesie Wed 12-Oct-16 13:21:05

We made him up a thing out of the old fashioned 'French Knitting'. (Was that what it was called?) A cylindrical body and a tail. A very favourite toy.

You have to be careful to let them have toys which are safe to chew. (Which they tend to do.) For example, pipe cleaner toys can be most attractive to them but very quickly degrade to small rusty wire shapes - which I for one wouldn't put near my mouth.

cozietoesie Wed 12-Oct-16 13:26:01

A useful stratagem is to sometimes put the toy in an obscure place - behind the sofa for example - so that they can find it themselves. Objets trouves seem to have an especial charm to them.

TroysMammy Wed 12-Oct-16 14:19:44

I had a cat who loved playing with the plastic thing that holds drinks cans together. It became a bit much when he would proudly run into the house with one he had found discarded in someone's garden (rough area grin).

BorpBorpBorp Wed 12-Oct-16 14:23:02

BorpCat1 is a fan of the Enigmatic Box of Untold Mystery and Unending Delight: a cardboard box with small holes cut in the top and sides and a couple of balls (too big to come out of the holes), some catnip and some treats inside. It took 5 minutes to make and has brought her hours of pleasure.

cozietoesie Wed 12-Oct-16 14:25:09

How big a box, Borp? (It never ceases to amaze me what cats will try to squeeze into/sleep in.) smile

BorpBorpBorp Wed 12-Oct-16 14:33:11

It's a box from a 12 pack of coke, so 1 coke can high, 4 coke cans wide and 3 coke cans deep. It's got all 6 sides so she can't get in, just stick her paw through the holes to fish the treats out.

cozietoesie Wed 12-Oct-16 14:40:36

So rather like an expanded treat ball? That sounds great fun for her - and a good replication of hunting small things. Not everything has to cost ££££. smile

Toddlerteaplease Wed 12-Oct-16 15:20:36

One of mines favourite toy is the plastic covers that go on our thermometer probes at work. (I am a nurse) I usually come home with my pockets full of them. She watched where I put them and would knock over the bin to get them out. I was absolutely gobsmacked the first time. As she's not over endowed with brains. We are getting new themometers soon so she won't be able to play with them. confused

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 12-Oct-16 23:02:45

Feathers, of any kind. I pick them up whenever I see one, hours of pleasure although he loses interest and wants a new one once the initial eau de bird wears off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now