Talk

Advanced search

How do you stop cats scratching rugs??

(22 Posts)
lovingperson Fri 07-Oct-16 15:20:38

Have lovely new rug and it's being ruined by one of my lovely cats. They don't scratch anything else??

YesItsMeIDontCare Fri 07-Oct-16 15:24:23

Get rid of the rug.

<helpful>

thecatneuterer Fri 07-Oct-16 15:35:28

I also came on to say get rid of the rug. <equally helpful>

NotAPuffin Fri 07-Oct-16 15:36:20

I agree, the rug needs to go. <helpfulest yet>

SaggyNaggy Fri 07-Oct-16 15:40:06

Buy cheap rugs made of Sissal.

cozietoesie Fri 07-Oct-16 15:51:43

I've always allowed for one 'sacrificial piece' - furniture, rugs, whatever. (You can sometimes persuade them to use a carpet offcut or sample but best not to bank on that.) They have to scratch somewhere and at least the cat is not just scratching everywhere.

They do tend to prefer good quality to scratch so it's a compliment to your taste in soft furnishings, really. wink

lovingperson Fri 07-Oct-16 16:13:05

Thanks everyone! It seems there is no solution sad. My poor John Lewis rug. At least I now know that the cats have good taste confused

number277 Fri 07-Oct-16 16:20:47

I always give mine a good flicking on the nose, stops them eventually!
Or get rid of the rug!

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Fri 07-Oct-16 16:24:46

Came on to say about getting a 'sacrificial' rug to lure them away from your good one but I see cosietozie beat me to it grin

RubbishMantra Fri 07-Oct-16 16:42:36

number277, you flick your cat's nose?! Their noses are way more sensitive than ours, so poor cat will feel something akin to you being punched on the nose. Would you flick a toddler's nose?

OP, get a really good tall 5' scratching post, (I made my own from a square post of wood, mdf and carpet off-cut.)

I also have a sacrificial rug outside the bathroom.

putputput Fri 07-Oct-16 16:44:33

Good scratching post, there's

putputput Fri 07-Oct-16 16:46:44

A repellent spray you can buy ( not sure of effectiveness, never used it.
Will be honest, I used a water spray once or twice, not directed at the cat, but close enough to give a fright. I know I'll probably get flamed but the hairy lump sat on my lap right now doesn't seem to hold a grudge!

BorpBorpBorp Fri 07-Oct-16 16:52:13

Does the cat go out? The BorpCats' scratching of forbidden things greatly reduced when they could scratch things outside.

We also do "NO SCRATCHING" loudly and firmly. We found the repellent spray to be of minimal efficacy. Cats do need to have access to something to scratch, though.

cozietoesie Fri 07-Oct-16 16:55:35

One thing I've found useful are those carpet samples that come in 'books'. If you have a carpet shop nearby, see if you can beg an old book from them. (They're usually just going in the bin so ought to be free or dirt cheap.) You just extract one from the book - preferably a good quality wool grin- and then lay them on the floor and anchor one edge under something heavy to give the cats some purchase. Then you just persuade them to use it by dint of praise/paddling their claws etc etc. They usually get the message.

Unless you have something desperately attractive like an upholstered armchair around of course!

Gatekeeper Fri 07-Oct-16 16:55:35

Our floors are mainly tiles or wood apart from a bloody expensive rug we bought when we were married 2001. Himself clicks merry hell out of it but it shows no sign. What damage are your cats doing???

lovingperson Fri 07-Oct-16 17:23:35

Thanks all. They do go outside, the other cat uses a log. As it's quite new the wool just all fluffs everywhere but she also pulls the actual threads out! I work next to a carpet shop so will see if I can get an off cut or something and see how that goes, they do have a cat scratch post but DP doesn't want it in the living room confused

lovingperson Fri 07-Oct-16 17:24:27

I do shout OY at her but she doesn't pay any attention.

cozietoesie Fri 07-Oct-16 17:27:47

I'd mentally kiss goodbye to the carpet then - it sounds as if that's 'her scratching place'. Just ensure that she doesn't try out anywhere else. (Although good luck with the carpet book.)

RubbishMantra Fri 07-Oct-16 17:28:24

putputput, I think squirting is OK. Certainly doesn't hurt them. (unlike flicking their nose)

Jackson Galaxy also recommends a motion activated device that gives off a hiss of air which deters the cat. It's called StayAway.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Fri 07-Oct-16 21:07:47

Dunelm do those carpet off cut things and sell them as skinny runners and door mats iirc the cheaper of the two is £15.

cozietoesie Fri 07-Oct-16 22:04:22

Swoop in like one possessed if any friends or relatives announce their intention of disposing of an old upholstered armchair - especially any with horizontal flat upholstered surfaces. They love 'em. grin

cozietoesie Fri 07-Oct-16 22:09:17

flat upholstered arms

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now