Advanced search

Any veterinary/experienced cat people? Cat cancer Q

(6 Posts)
Leax Wed 05-Oct-16 08:09:56

Hello, any info/views appreciated.

14.5 year old cat, just diagnosed by ultrasound with cancer, abdomen shows aggressive disease, vet thinks lymphoblastic lymphoma or adenocarcinoma. There is fluid around her lungs and heart and her breathing is faster than normal and becoming incrementally more limiting just over the last 36 hours.

My question is, case dependent of course, is there a role for palliative thoracentesis to remove some of the fluid to provide relief?
She is eating and drinking still and it's the increasing labour of breathing that is going to bring the end sooner than the bowel tumour.

I am of course going to talk to the vet but am trying to get any info I can on this type of situation and whether treating the symptoms for temporary relief is a reasonable or terrible idea.

FrickOnAStick Wed 05-Oct-16 08:15:04

I can't offer advice but wanted to give you these flowers

Miloarmadillo1 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:19:44

I'm a vet. I'm so sorry about your cat. Yes, it's worth attempting to drain the chest to improve her breathing. It can normally be done conscious or with minimal sedation. There is some risk attempting anything potentially stressful with a cat already in respiratory distress but you do not have a lot to lose if the alternative is PTS. Diuretics may help to prevent the fluid reaccumulating and give you a bit longer with her. Is her quality of life ok apart from her breathing? Still eating, interacting, moving around?

Leax Wed 05-Oct-16 08:22:43

Thank you both so much.

She is still eating and drinking, greeting us, but is now limiting her movements to one room due to respiratory effort. Up until yesterday she was sleeping on her usual stair but isn't making that trip now.

CremeBrulee Wed 05-Oct-16 08:26:11

I'm no expert at all, so can't advise on your cats case. I can tell my experience with my own darling Girl, who had a breast tumour the size of a walnut which appeared from no-where.

Our vet operated and removed the tumour. We brought her home after surgery but the lump had returned at a similar size within a week - it was so aggressive and fast moving it was scary.

Vet said there was no point operating a second time and sadly she quickly became very uncomfortable. After a last night at home we made the very difficult decision to pts.

Leax Wed 05-Oct-16 08:31:54

CremeBrulee, so sorry to hear that. I think that is pretty close for us now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now