WTAF, PuffinCat???

(10 Posts)
Puffinity Tue 04-Oct-16 21:03:24

We put PuffinCat outside for a bit even though it was dark, because she was getting feisty and I appreciate having all four of my limbs. I called her back in and she came in immediately (she doesn't go out much because the cat flap is too confusing...). She then proceeded to thunder round the house for several minutes and looked genuinely frightened a few times. I might be projecting human feelings onto her, but I looked at her and when she noticed she jumped. After that she sat on her cat tree and groomed herself for a bit. Is this normal? Was she actually scared or just a bit hyper? She seemed really jittery, could something outside have scared her?

cozietoesie Tue 04-Oct-16 21:08:01

Of course. Do you have any eg mean neighbourhood toms out there?

Puffinity Tue 04-Oct-16 21:11:37

cozie I knew you wouldn't be long smile Not sure about toms (we're quite new to the neighbourhood), but PuffinCat is spayed, would they still chase her? She is now looking out into the garden again and was sitting by the door a few minutes ago, as if wanting to go out. The thundering around (up and down the hallway and stairs at top speed) was just really out of character, she looked like she was running away from something only she could see. She seems to have calmed down a bit now has just pulled the bin over and knocked her water over in the process

cozietoesie Tue 04-Oct-16 21:19:34

It might be an adrenalin rush that was sending her chasing around - if something frightened her. (The old 'fight or flight' stuff.) It would wear off after a little.

Puffinity Tue 04-Oct-16 21:31:05

She seems a bit quieter now... Mad thing smile

WeirdAndPissedOff Tue 04-Oct-16 22:16:31

It does sound as though something spooked her.
One of ours did this the first time next door moved their wheelie bin while he was outside.

Could it also be that you don't normally put her outside when it's dark? Ours refuse to come in when called at night, but if you shut them out even for a minute then they're traumatised!

TroysMammy Tue 04-Oct-16 22:24:48

I used to have a cat who when he wanted to come in would look at me through the patio door. Willing me to get up and let him in through the back door. If I was busy and ignored him (not jump up immediately) he would paddle against the glass, looking over his shoulder and paddling much faster with his eyes getting bigger. There was nothing there to scare him, it was just a ploy.

MycatsaPirate Tue 04-Oct-16 22:26:33

Two of our cats have mad dashes round the house and then sit looking a bit manic. Ears pinned back, eyes wide.

Then they will have a wash and go for a nap.

I think it's just to keep us on our toes.

timelytess Tue 04-Oct-16 22:28:59

Rabbits do 'the bunny 500' - racing about like lunatics for the sheer hell of it. Perhaps cats get that way, too.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 04-Oct-16 22:29:23

it's going to be windy...cat and children can see the Windgoblins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now