How much cat milk?

(22 Posts)
DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Oct-16 19:43:25

Just discovered Puccini loves cat milk and is able to take Cystaid mixed in it which he needs to have 2x a day atm.

I'm delighted he's drinking as he hardly drank at all until recently and ended up with a UTI.

How much is too much? Is lactose free milk for humans the same as expensive cat milk ?

TIAsmile

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 03-Oct-16 19:48:54

I would think the lactose levels would be printed on the side of the pack.

It should be safe though. Have you compared vitamin levels?.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Oct-16 19:51:07

Ah good idea.

The wilkos stuff seems to be milk, crude ash(?confused) and oil.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Oct-16 19:51:47

Is it the lactose cats are intolerant to?

Soubriquet Mon 03-Oct-16 19:57:38

What about buying the proper formula for kittens and see if he will drink that?

It isn't cheap but like normal formula you make it up and it's better for cats than the actual cat milk

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Oct-16 23:22:26

What do you mean,formula like baby formula?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Oct-16 23:25:06

Just googled and the human stuff is 0.03 same as the cat milk I'm buying now but with added oil.

CousinCharlotte Mon 03-Oct-16 23:28:52

I used to give baby formula to 2 kittens I fostered after I depleted all kitten formula supplies from the vets. Vet said it was fine.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Oct-16 23:32:11

But baby formula isn't lactose free,is it?

CousinCharlotte Mon 03-Oct-16 23:37:05

Kittens can, they become more lactose intolerant after weaning. Sorry I thought you were weaning a kitten.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Oct-16 23:38:47

Oh right,no he's 1.5.

Rachcakes Tue 04-Oct-16 08:04:55

If your cat's poorly, I'd stick with cat/kitten milk. I get the ready mixed stuff from Tesco for Ozzy. One carton lasts three or four days (he just has it at night) but when we brought him home his breeder sent some kitten formula powder, which might be more economical. He just had one scoop.

Soubriquet Tue 04-Oct-16 09:03:27

You can buy formula especially for kittens from pet shops

kitten milk

Shesgotelectricboobs Tue 04-Oct-16 09:22:13

We bought cat milk (the whiskas one) for our feral rescue. She goes nuts for it. A bottle is 4 servings. i poured enough so it coated the bottom of her bowl.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 04-Oct-16 13:31:56

He's not a kitten and isn't ill now, just loves milk and needs to drink a lot after his UTI. I'll try some lactose free milk and see how it goes down,it really does seem exactly the same.

Soubriquet Tue 04-Oct-16 13:57:27

Could be worth looking at if he starts to have diarrhoea from cat milk

Qwebec Tue 04-Oct-16 18:52:35

If it is just to get him to drink more: I add water to any wet food. Just make sure that some food sticks out of the water si that the smell is till right. You could also poach some chicken and see if your cat is interested in the remaining broth.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 04-Oct-16 19:24:26

Thanks Qwebec, I've been doing that and he's fine with it ,I soak his dry food too. So worried about him getting enough after being so poorly .

RubbishMantra Tue 04-Oct-16 20:27:34

Cats can take goat's milk. And I always mix some water in the the MantraCat's food.

Really glad he's on the mend. smile

RubbishMantra Tue 04-Oct-16 20:31:16

And yes Dame, you're right, it is the lactose cats are intolerant to. Goats milk doesn't contain lactose.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 05-Oct-16 09:57:58

Actually,I've just read the feeding instructions on the back of the bottle ( should've looked properlyblush) and it says 100mls daily for a 4k cat ,Puccini is less than 3 so he's well within those guide lines as he doesn't drink 100 mls a day.

I swear I didn't use to worry this much about ds hmm

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 05-Oct-16 09:58:25

Thanks Rubbishsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now