Talk

Advanced search

Adopting rescue kittens.

(13 Posts)
SciFiFan2015 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:40:37

After years of discussion, debate and searching our family is very close to adopting 2 male kittens. I grew up with pets (kittens, dogs and hamsters) but DH didn't. I haven't had a pet for 15 years now. What have I forgotten? Need to know? Top tips?
My 2 kids (6 and 10) and I are really, really keen. DH only sees the bad. I've had the family to a petting session to weed out allergic reactions. We have a secure home, with an enclosed back garden. I will microchip, vaccinate and neuter them. We can afford them. I'm so close to using flex tomorrow and going to get them. Advice and words of wisdom welcomed.

cozietoesie Tue 27-Sep-16 22:47:54

Have you thought of giving an older cat a home? smile

Many rescues have older cats who could just do with a loving family - and likely with slightly better known characters - and they find it much less easy to find a place than kittens.

SciFiFan2015 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:53:21

Yes. We've tried to rehome older cats but in my area they all want families with older children or no children. I've asked for the age of older children and am being told 10plus.
Kittens are really hard to get here - at least this way the kittens will never know any different and everyone will grow up together!

cozietoesie Tue 27-Sep-16 23:10:49

Dear Goodness. I know that some rescues require families with no very young children but I would have thought that 6 and 10 would be perfectly acceptable. Have you tried the smaller rescues in your area?

HoobleDooble Tue 27-Sep-16 23:20:03

We adopted a 2 year old cat from the RSPCA a year ago, DS was 6 at the time. Best thing I've ever done, she's an absolute dream and a total mummy's girl.

SciFiFan2015 Tue 27-Sep-16 23:20:17

I've tried them all! Local and national. I've found one that specifies they'll accept a 7 year old. I was hoping to talk them round. Though cat in question is nervous and not really what I was hoping for.
A cat-loving friend experienced same within family (her sister and children) So that family waited months until kittens became available.
We have lots of pet friendly neighbours to help out too.

SciFiFan2015 Tue 27-Sep-16 23:20:42

RSPCA don't operate here.

MissBattleaxe Tue 27-Sep-16 23:24:09

Enjoy your kittens. Someone else will have them if you don't. Just remember that kittens, like babies, poo about 10 times a day until they're older and settle into once a day. We've had mainly older cats but did get kittens a few years back. They're now big fat grown ups

SciFiFan2015 Tue 27-Sep-16 23:29:44

MissBattleaxe thank you. That's the sort of stuff I need. It's been so long I've forgotten all the shitty stuff!
I really think I've exhausted the options for rehoming an older cat. Although I could wait 2 - 4 more years but <stamps feet> I don't want to wait longer.
My puppy woke me up lots at night. I don't remember the kittens doing it - so they?
Anything else. I'm trying to be responsible, realistic, practical, logical.
The kittens are so cute they are pushing all of the above aside!

MissBattleaxe Wed 28-Sep-16 08:16:12

We have a reclining sofa and when we first had the kittens, we were really scared they would get stuck in the sofa. We were were checking it long after they were too big to get in there. We took two brother kittens from an abandoned litter from Cats Protection.

Also- they go up curtains really fast!

Soon2bC Wed 28-Sep-16 09:35:45

recently adopted a brother and sister at 9wks. sheesh these kittens poop like its going out of fashion. Remember when you had babies and then realised that you was going to need treble the amount of nappies you have planned!!!
My house stinks, there is constantly bits of litter everywhere, i am cleaning up after them every time i stand up, all my furniture is suffering including the brand new fabric dining chairs and wooden furniture i bought when we moved in February and they kept hiding in the workings of the sofa bed, they get us up at about 4/5 am and run us ragged, my living room blinds have had to be removed until they get older as they were climbing them and the curtains are currently taking a battering. I expect my christmas tree to be a state this year.

that said....its bliss! I wouldnt have it any other way. I love having 2 together to keep each other company and amused when i go out.

I do however think they are darn hard work and you need to expect all the usual accidents and mess that comes with little furballs. you will go through loads of litter and food and there will be clawing!

enjoy!!!!!

MissBattleaxe Wed 28-Sep-16 14:08:27

I agree. Kittens are hard work but total bliss. Wouldn't change a thing.

FuzzyWizard Wed 28-Sep-16 20:20:32

Kittens are hard work and destructive little blighters. As long as you aren't precious about your furniture, carpets and curtains then it generally works out in the end. I'm surprised that there are places that will let you have kittens but not adult cats with children your age. I've only ever heard of it the other way around as kittens are both more vulnerable and more unpredictable than a lot of adult cats. Lots of kittens will go through a mad pouncing stage at about 6 months to a year where leaping onto unsuspecting small children is the most fun thing in the world. They are wonderful little animals though and I bet you'll fall completely in love. Having now adopted an adult cat I don't think I'd get a kitten again though as they are just so much more hard work. Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now