Talk

Advanced search

Is it time?

(27 Posts)
Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 08:32:20

I have my beautiful 17 year old female cat who has intermittently been having trouble pooing for a few weeks. She's in a state all round her bottom , looks so sore and most mornings I'm cleaning poo off every surface where she has dragged herself around. I've been washing her off in the shower but that seems to be making her more sore. She is unsteady on her feet. I feel the inevitable is coming but I'm scared to admit it. If I take her to the vet I feel it's either gonna be £££s in meds and treatment or she will sadly be put to sleep? I feel selfish as she's eating and drinking ok and I obviously don't want to lose her!

thecatneuterer Tue 27-Sep-16 08:46:54

You have to take her to the vet and decide from there. The vet will give you the options, likely prognosis and costs and you can then have all the facts available to help you make a decision. What you can't do, is do nothing.

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 08:52:39

Thank you I know I'm being selfish I don't want to lose her. She seems to be struggling a bit. I will make an appointment but dread the inevitable x

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 27-Sep-16 08:52:41

Been there. You will know in your heart when it's right, even though every other fibre of your being is screaming "NO!". Your vet will help you make the right decision. My decision about meds and treatment was based less on cost and more on how much distress it would have caused my old boy and I realised it wasn't fair to do that to him. I think that is as valid a reason as any.

flowers

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:08:45

Thank you. When I got my old girl I worked full time and was child free. Im now a single parent and money is tight. I must have done something right as she is 17 and my old boy is 16. I just feel I'm letting her down as if I had money I could probably chuck all sorts of treatment at her. I hate the fact I I have to consider PTS due to financial constraints. X

SuburbanRhonda Tue 27-Sep-16 09:14:19

Do you have pet insurance, OP?

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:15:10

No alas I don't. sad

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 27-Sep-16 09:23:41

Sometimes chucking all the money in the world and all the treatments in the world isn't the right thing to do. I could have had all sorts of tests and treatments for my old boy - he was insured and I have the finances to pay for it if the insurance refused to pay out any more. But it wasn't right for him, he would have been traumatised having to stay in the vets as well as highly distressed at being given tablets, and I honestly believe that there will be very few 17 year old cats who it would be right for, iyswim.

It's hard OP, but she's had 17 wonderful years which is a good age for a cat, even though it seems so short to us. In our years she'd be 84.

flowers

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:26:06

Yes I know she is just so precious. I've never met such a loyal old girl.

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:27:34

She has been with me thru such hard times. She is always there. I don't think it's hit me yet that she may not have long left. I'm not able to take her till Thursday as I work and on my own so have nobody to help sad

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 27-Sep-16 09:49:46

This was my old boy, Harley. Loved him so so much and like you, he'd been there with me through so much crap and mopped up so many of my tears in his fur. I get where you're coming from OP, I really really do, but I realised I owed it to him to do the right thing because he'd always been there for me. Keeping him going would have been an act of pure selfishness. It's heart-breaking.

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 27-Sep-16 09:51:08

Just managed to open your picture properly - she's a beautiful girl.

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 10:54:26

Aw Harley is just gorgeous. How do you know it's time tho? I'm struggling........ my old girl had the same a few weeks ago and she bounced back. Am I being selfish to see if she does the same again? Xx

SuburbanRhonda Tue 27-Sep-16 11:04:57

Sometimes chucking all the money in the world and all the treatments in the world isn't the right thing to do

I only asked about insurance because the OP says she feels bad about potentially having him pts due to financial constraints.

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 11:10:36

Thanks suburban I feel guilty about not having the money to throw at her but like you say it's not always the case? I feel heartbroken that I'm even contemplating pts but I know I have to face it xx

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 27-Sep-16 11:18:23

Oh absolutely Suburban - sometimes it is absolutely the right thing to do. But sometimes we have to stop thinking of them in human terms and realise that sometimes it isn't.

Shoegal- I just knew. He'd been struggling, took him to the vets, he bounced back for a couple of days... then back down again.

I'm going to be totally honest now and probably cry while I type this because this is so so hard for me to admit... Harley had a sister, she died a few years ago. I thought it would be best for her to do the tests, give her the medication - and for a while she was fine. But then she sank so so fast, and her ending was awful. She looked in pain... it was about 3am... I knew she was going to go and I wanted to be with her... I should have taken her to the vets the evening before... and I beat myself up about it daily.

I also beat myself up about the medication I did give Harley. I'm sure he'd have lived longer if I hadn't have meddled.

Maybe I am projecting, but sometimes it can help to hear other people's experiences.

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 11:38:06

Not many of my friends are cat people so it helps enormously to know I'm not going thru this alone. Thank you for your story it's brought tears to my eyes too. I'm at work, as I have been for years and years, and she has ALWAYS been at home waiting for me xxx

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 27-Sep-16 12:15:16

Don't lose hope yet. It might still be something that can be fixed quickly and inexpensively. You'll know when it's right.

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 12:21:31

I've showered her off with just warm water before I left for work and she seems quite happy for now. Xx

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 27-Sep-16 12:33:26

Oh bless her. I used to have to shower Harley too. He had long fur and couldn't clean himself up properly. He got quite used to it and was always happier afterwards. I think cats always like to be clean and they'll accept help when they can't do it themselves.

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 14:03:17

Home from work and she's again covered In wet litter due to having wet fur! She's been to her bowl and ate but she struggled getting there. I have made a vets apt for 3.10 sadsad

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 27-Sep-16 15:04:39

I hope you're OK Shoegal. I'm thinking of you.

Shoegal0305 Tue 27-Sep-16 15:32:58

Thank you. Well it's not the outcome I was expecting!!! Vet says her heart is good and strong, thinks she just has had a bout of diarrhoea? Got her nails clipped and got some tablets to bulk up her poo. Her weight is nice and steady too. Vet was so lovely and reassuring. I feel like crying with relief. smilesmile he says she may well live a fair bit longer yet xxx

SuburbanRhonda Tue 27-Sep-16 15:35:01

She looks a happy and well-loved cat, OP. Whatever decision you come to with the get will be the right one, I'm sure. I've been there with my first car and it was one of the hardest decisions of my life. I tortured myself for months afterwards wondering if I could have done more but in the end I know I did the right thing for her and her dignity.

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 27-Sep-16 15:51:00

<squeals> <does flappy hands> <snivels a bit>

That is FANTASTIC! OK back to total honesty? From the picture of her in her basket from earlier, she doesn't look like a cat that's had enough, iykwim. I didn't want to say that though!

I am so so pleased for you - BIG cuddles to your beautiful girl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now