Hand hold please - Poorly cat gone missing

(25 Posts)
BorpBorpBorp Mon 26-Sep-16 09:06:15

BorpCat2 (2yo) was under the weather this weekend. Off his food, stuffed up in the nose, and lethargic and slow. I decided on Sunday morning that if he didn't show signs of improvement I would take him to the vet on Monday.

Then mid Sunday morning, he went out. Under the fence into next door's garden. I could see him out of the window sitting by their shed. I rattled the dreamies and called for him from the gate (he usually comes when called) and he saw me but wouldn't come. I thought he'd come back when he was ready.

I kept an eye on him from the window, and about mid afternoon I couldn't see him any more.

He hadn't come back when we left for work at 7.45 this morning. We usually lock them in overnight, but he has stayed out once before and was back in the early hours of the morning.

I've called him from the garden several times, and I've logged him as missing with his chip company. I'm really worried, mainly because he was poorly sad

thecatneuterer Mon 26-Sep-16 12:22:57

Oh no. Can you ask the neighbours if you can have a look around their garden?

BorpBorpBorp Mon 26-Sep-16 14:24:27

Thanks for replying. I'd feel really awkward about looking around the neighbours' gardens even with permission. I'm going to put leaflets through the neighbours doors if he's not back this evening.

cozietoesie Mon 26-Sep-16 14:31:53

Borp

No need to feel awkward. If my neighbours came and asked me to look round my garden for a poorly cat, I would think nothing of it - in fact, I'd probably go and have a look round myself. smile

Have they got a deal of shrubs etc on their ground? Or a shed/garage etc?

RubbishMantra Mon 26-Sep-16 14:50:06

I wouldn't mind a bit either. I'd help them look for an AWOL cat, no problem.

BorpBorpBorp Mon 26-Sep-16 15:30:13

Thanks both, that does make me feel better about asking. Most people have a shed or greenhouse and a few shrubs so there are plenty of places he could be hiding.

I've heard today that sometimes cats go off and hide out somewhere when they're ill and come back when they're feeling better, so I'm hoping he's done that and he'll come strolling through the cat flap soon.

cozietoesie Mon 26-Sep-16 15:37:20

Well that's true - unless he's feeling really poorly and it's something the vet could help with. Myself, I'd go for a look round while it's still light and the vet is still open. I don't know what the weather is like with you but here it's pretty lousy. I wouldn't like to be outside feeling unwell today.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 26-Sep-16 15:38:37

Hope he's home soon x

BorpBorpBorp Tue 27-Sep-16 09:27:21

Just to update you all - BorpCat2 was found in a neighbour's garden this morning, dead sad

It seems he died of whatever his sudden illness was, and keeled over and fell off a low wall. He was only 2, and we had had him less than a year. We will miss him so much.

BorpBorpBorp Tue 27-Sep-16 09:31:55

I do have a question, though. Should I let BorpCat1 (his mother) see his body?

thecatneuterer Tue 27-Sep-16 09:58:06

Oh no. Poor boy. I'm so sorry. I think it would be a good idea to let his mother see his body.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 27-Sep-16 10:31:02

Oh no, I'm so sorry! That's such a shamesad x

BorpBorpBorp Tue 27-Sep-16 10:57:14

Thank you both. I did let her see his body, and I think she understands. She's stopped looking for him.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 27-Sep-16 14:12:37

Oh goodness that must've been very hard. x

BorpBorpBorp Wed 28-Sep-16 11:57:52

Thank you x

We took both cats to the vet yesterday night. It seems like BorpCat2 had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a kind of heart disease that shows no symptoms at all and then suddenly kills young male cats. He died with relatively little suffering. Luckily BorpCat1 is not at risk and is in perfect health.

We buried him in the garden with his favourite toy. We will miss him very, very much.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 28-Sep-16 12:01:16

Oh that's sad. My friend's cat had the same thing by the sounds of it, very sudden with no warning.

These little balls of fluff really worm they way into our hearts, don't they? x

TroysMammy Wed 28-Sep-16 17:44:09

I'm so sorry for the loss of your puss, too young to go.

Troy had the same, diagnosed in January. He died suddenly whilst we were on the way to the emergency vets on 10 May. He was 2 months short of his 6th birthday. It was terrible and I miss him.

flowers and hugs for you.

OliviaStabler Wed 28-Sep-16 19:13:29

So sorry for your loss flowers

Vinorosso74 Wed 28-Sep-16 19:54:48

Just seen this how very sad. So sorry flowers

RandomMess Wed 28-Sep-16 20:02:05

flowers flowers

cozietoesie Wed 28-Sep-16 20:09:59

My own last boy almost certainly had that. If it's any consolation, he died very very suddenly - much less than a minute from seeming perfectly fine to being dead. I'm sorry for your own loss.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 28-Sep-16 20:51:03

Borp. I'm so sorry. flowers.
He most have known he was dying, bless him. They often do that. Go away to die. Your poor poor boy.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))).
Goodnight Borp cat. Xx

timtam23 Wed 28-Sep-16 22:04:30

Oh I'm so sorry, he was so young. RIP BorpCat2 flowers

BorpBorpBorp Thu 29-Sep-16 09:50:42

Thank you everybody xx

SendARavenToRiverRun Thu 29-Sep-16 09:55:54

I'm so sorry flowers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now