We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Floofy cats and spot on flea treatment

(4 Posts)
Bogburglar75 Sun 25-Sep-16 11:08:55

Bogbastard has fleas sad. We were treating with Broadline but were a week or two out of date. I'm hoping fairly recent arrivals that we can see off rapidly.

Vet has given us a different product and we are using that, plus Hoover/wash/spray like a mad thing (house not cat!). It may be just our slippage that's to blame, but he's an exceptionally floofy long haired cat and its always very hard to find the skin to put the spot on. I'm worried this might be a factor as well.

Anyone had this problem with floofy cats? Further advice or alternatives to spot on very welcome.

RubbishMantra Sun 25-Sep-16 13:38:52

Wait until he's sleepy/sleeping, then get a wooden toothpick and gently part the hair on the base of his skull, where it meet the spine. Have spot on treatment ready, even if this means carrying it around with you until he settles. Dribble the drops along the parting, and massage the liquid along the parting, using the nozzle of the applicator.

This works with bolshy MCat, who although not long haired, has a very dense coat.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 25-Sep-16 15:23:46

I use a wet flannel to damp down the fur before applying. I can then comb a parting, which stays parted while the fur is still damp.

I use the nozzle to massage the treatment in.

Bonus with the wet hair method is that it's a visual reminder that the treatments been applied, stops me from absent mindedly stroking the cat afterwards!

stubbornstains Sat 01-Oct-16 21:21:05

I used to have to apply Frontline in several goes on my old floof. Get cat in the approved death grip, part hair, find teeny tiny patch of skin, put a drop on, repeat about 4-5 times until pipette is empty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now