Talk

Advanced search

Cat smells

(13 Posts)
SillyMoomin Sat 24-Sep-16 19:09:44

Hello all- smells of the cat, not that the cat smells!

Mr Moomin and I are getting a cat, rescue, only ever been an indoors cat. However, DH and I live in an flat- a big one, but a flat nonetheless with no access to a garden.

I'm worried about the general scent of cat when you walk in through the front door. We're going to get a covered litter tray, charcoal based litter?, is that right?, change it daily, and obviously Windows and fresh air whenever we're home.

Just wondered if there's anything we can do to neutralise the cat smell or litter smell? The tray will be kept in the bathroom we think, but obviously the door will have to stay open so madame can use it whenever she wants grin any other ideas to help?

Squeeeeeeee so excited!!!

WeirdAndPissedOff Sat 24-Sep-16 20:12:18

IME cats rarely smell themselves, unless you have lots together.
The steps you gave suggested should minimise litter tray smells.
The only thing that may smell is if they spray, which usually they don't do if neutered before "puberty".

SillyMoomin Sat 24-Sep-16 20:18:51

No she's a 3 year old so has been spayed so hopefully no spraying

MrsBertMacklin Sat 24-Sep-16 20:36:32

I'm an indoor cat slave in a set up same as yours. The litter is the only smell risk.

I scoop everything ASAP, vacuum three times as often as I used to, to get rid of litter that's been tracked out of the tray and the bathroom floor and skirting so are washed weekly.

I do a full litter change every three weeks, if I leave it even two days past this, the tray smells.

SillyMoomin Sat 24-Sep-16 20:57:44

Thanks mrs, that's encouraging smile hopefully should all be neutral odour wise then!

Vinorosso74 Sat 24-Sep-16 21:32:04

The only time I noticed a cat smell was when we first got Vinocat. She was 6 and on Cats Protection advise kept her in one room (lounge). It wasn't stinky but the room smelt different but she was maybe scenting the place if that makes sense.
A decent cat litter stops those types of smells we use Oko Cats Best and an uncovered tray and it's fine.

Nelleflowerpot Tue 27-Sep-16 16:39:25

Can we ask a question? I'm using ok I cats best with my kitten but she makes such a mess in her tray I seem to have to change the whole thing every couple of days. I remove poos ASAP and and clumps I can but she seems to like scattering the wee clumps. How on earth do you all go longer between full changes? I am using a covered tray. Is my kitten just using it as another toy? She is really not lacking in play or toys 😐

Nelleflowerpot Tue 27-Sep-16 16:44:06

That should say oko cats best btw!

StrongBelwas Tue 27-Sep-16 17:06:25

Ooh could ask ask a similar question? We've just got 2 rescues, they're in 1 room for the minute (possibly for a little while as they're both timid, one extremely timid). We've got a feliway diffuser going and they were only introduced at the shelter to make sure they got on before we took them home. We're really on top of the litter tray situation (I think) but the room does have a distinctive cat smell.

My question is, would something like activated charcoal or zeolite stop feliway from working? Common sense seems to say it would, but I've not really used feliway before, aside from using the spray a few times towards the end with my last cat.

StrongBelwas Tue 27-Sep-16 17:06:55

*I ask

crispandcheesesanwichplease Tue 27-Sep-16 18:24:29

I've got a female cat. She goes outdoors but always comes in to use her litter tray. There's no smell unless you don't keep on top of the litter tray. Hair is a bit of a problem but definitely no smell. The cat herself, who likes cuddles and to have you rub your nose on her tummy, smells lovely!

When they first move to live with you make sure you show them where the litter tray is as soon as you bring them in to the house. They might have some anxiety problems initially so possible toileting issues but if so it shouldn't last. Our cat did a poo just the once in the living room but that was my fault - she buries her poo so well in the litter tray that I didn't realise that there were several deposits in there!

Also get a scratching post and some cardboard boxes and toys for them before they come so they can entertain themselves without starting to trash the house!

crispandcheesesanwichplease Tue 27-Sep-16 18:25:27

Oh and having had many cats I find that the Catsan litter is the best for absorbing bad smalls,

crispandcheesesanwichplease Tue 27-Sep-16 18:26:43

SMELLS not smalls - doh!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now