Talk

Advanced search

The smell!!

(15 Posts)
rorygilmoresbackpack Thu 15-Sep-16 13:34:43

Hiya

How do you get rid of cat litter?

What I currently do is scrape the little poops into a scented nappy bag, and chuck it in the outside bin. When I empty the whole tray I put it into a plastic bag and straight to the outside bin.

But I'm finding the bin absolutely stinks. I have the bin cleaned once a month but this doesn't seem to help.

There's nowhere I can put the bin except right outside my front door and I'm sick of smelling it.

So, back to my question, how do you get rid of it so that it eliminates smells? Any tips?

cozietoesie Thu 15-Sep-16 13:43:10

I wrap any soil/clumps in a quick little newspaper parcel for onward disposal. (Scoop them onto the equivalent of a double broadsheet/4 pages of tabloid and quickly fold up.) Friends and relatives donate their old papers - which have a multiplicity of uses in any case - and the newspaper seems to prevent smells.

thecatneuterer Thu 15-Sep-16 13:43:29

I use a litter that doesn't inherently smell - ie wood pellets. Then if you dispose of the shit separately (nappy bags are good) the smell should be negligible .

rorygilmoresbackpack Thu 15-Sep-16 14:30:03

News papers is a good idea, thanks. Could do that then put in a nappy bag for a double whammy.

I did try wood pellets but the cat didn't like them. We have tried several different litters and he just refuses.

Thanks for your responses

cozietoesie Thu 15-Sep-16 14:33:24

I still carry the mental scars from trying wood pellet on Oneago. My boys won't use it either.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 15-Sep-16 14:44:23

Poos go down the toilet and when the tray is emptied completely the litter does in a black bag and then in the bin.

Tubbyinthehottub Thu 15-Sep-16 14:50:50

Try a grain free diet then the poos shouldn't smell too bad in the first place

rorygilmoresbackpack Thu 15-Sep-16 15:03:24

To be honest I don't think the poo smells any more than a poo should, it's more to do with the fact it goes in a bin and our collections are fortnightly so ends up humming!

I put them down the loo a couple of times but DP found out and told me off said it wasn't good for the toilet or something.

DubiousCredentials Thu 15-Sep-16 15:47:38

confused why would cat poo be any different to human poo in the toilet?

Tubbyinthehottub Thu 15-Sep-16 16:12:23

Hmmm, I used to dispose of poos and litter exactly the same way as you describe and I don't remember the bin being that bad. Mine roams free now doing his non-smelly poos wherever he fancies. But of course, he covers them up and never offends any neighbours.

rorygilmoresbackpack Thu 15-Sep-16 16:33:10

Dubious that's what I pointed out but I think it's more to do with the litter attached to the poo.

rorygilmoresbackpack Thu 15-Sep-16 16:35:07

Tubby maybe it's the heat which is making it more noticeable. He's allowed soon so hopefully he will start burying it in the garden or something

thecatneuterer Thu 15-Sep-16 16:38:48

Apparently cat poo is harmful to otters and that's why you shouldn't put it down the toilet.

LokisUnderpants Thu 15-Sep-16 16:40:55

I changed the food I was giving my boys and it hugely improved the stinky poo problem. Animonda Carny seems to be the best one.

I put a GIGANTIC bowl of baking soda in the room with the litters and mix a small bit in with the litter. This improved the remaining smell too.

FuzzyWizard Thu 15-Sep-16 17:19:36

I keep a ziplock bag next to the tray and all urine clumps and poos go in. The sealed bag then goes in the bin when it fills up every few days. We have weekly rubbish collection though which helps massively:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now