Talk

Advanced search

Booked the cat into cattery and feeling weepy!

(12 Posts)
ShotsFired Wed 14-Sep-16 09:32:48

Our 12yo cat took ownership of us in Spring this year, as her previous family were having to move into no pets allowed accommodation. She settled quickly and is a very independent girl, although mellowing slightly now.

I've just sent the emails booking her into a local cattery for 2 holidays we have coming up, and am feeling oddly weepy about it. sad

Can anyone offer "been there done that" reassurance? I have never used a cattery before (a friend used to in-house cat sit for my previous cat, but she moved away). We visited the place and the owner lady was lovely and showed us round, answered all our questions, we saw cats in situ and they were all quite happy, the pens were fine too.

I am worrying that she will hate being in a pen, as opposed to her current free run of the world, and then hate us afterwards. Then we'll go and do it to her again a few months later (first time is 6 days, second is just over 2 weeks!)

cozietoesie Wed 14-Sep-16 15:36:45

She'll be fine.

Although you'll get The Sulk when she returns of course. smile

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 14-Sep-16 15:45:54

It'll be ok, the other cats there were. If you visited the cattery we use when asbo is in residence you'd see pen after pen of happy chilled out cats.

cozietoesie Wed 14-Sep-16 15:48:33

Do you get The Sulk when he returns, Fluffy?

PosiePootlePerkins Wed 14-Sep-16 15:50:34

Another option would be to pay someone to come to your house and feed her, so she can stay in her own environment. Just a thought.

hugoagogo Wed 14-Sep-16 15:54:44

I fretted the first time we put ours in a cattery, but she was happy as Larry.

ScarlettO89 Wed 14-Sep-16 15:59:06

I feel sad whenever our kitty goes to the cattery but she's always fine and so so happy to see us when we get home. We don't get the sulks, we get her being very loving!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 14-Sep-16 15:59:16

Cozie

Yes, and he shouts at me the whole way home which is quite a long journey because he can't go over 30mph in a car on rural roads without getting car sick.

She offers a pick up and delivery service but she's a nice lady so I say no.

cozietoesie Wed 14-Sep-16 16:04:06

That's likely 'softening you up', Scarlett. grin

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 14-Sep-16 16:10:30

Our Cats cattery has a communal area, apparently they all go in there for a chat. You can take your cats bed or a blanket with your scent on into the cattery, that'll be a comfort.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 14-Sep-16 20:38:09

I can't imagine cats liking that but I suppose adversary makes strange bedfellows in felines too.

ShotsFired Thu 15-Sep-16 15:23:08

Thank you all! I know logically I am being silly and projecting human emotion on to her - if I look at how quickly she settled with us after a lifetime elsewhere I shouldn't kid myself!

We will be taking her pillow and scratch post so she will have familiar scents too.

(I did look at drop-in pet sitters, but I felt more uncomfortable as there was/is a big tom round here who has tried to beat her up on a few occasions and being so far away I'd prefer her to be 100% secure 24/7)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now