Talk

Advanced search

What's the difference between breeds?

(23 Posts)
allthecarbs Wed 14-Sep-16 09:28:07

I've had my oldest cat 17 years but tbh I'm still quite naive about the temperaments and health problems of different breeds.
My oldest is on his last legs so I'm starting to tentatively look in to what sort of cat I might like next.
Old boy is your average black cat. He was always a bit of a Dick but has mellowed out in his old age. Youngest cat is half persian and has always been quite chilled. Is that normal for persians?

I'd love another chilled type cat next, what sort of breed should I be looking at or avoiding?

Bogburglar75 Wed 14-Sep-16 09:46:49

We have a young Siberian who wrote the book on being chilled out, and I believe that is typical of the breed. I think some days he is really a cushion in disguise as a cat. To be fair the breeder did say his sister was a nutter smile

I would recommend a Siberian any day but is there a reason you want a pedigree? We always had moggies growing up and getting a Siberian was pushed on us as DH is allergic. I adore BogBastard but found the process of buying a pedigree kitten rather a lot of expense and hassle, and many breeders insist you commit to keeping them as indoor cats which I was personally not comfortable with.

Would your best route to a chilled out cat be to visit various rehoming places and look for an older one whose temperament is proven?

Bogburglar75 Wed 14-Sep-16 09:47:38

The chilled out cushion!

allthecarbs Wed 14-Sep-16 09:57:19

Oh he is lovely! What a fluffy cushion.
I'm still unsure what I want. Ideally I wouldn't want an indoor cat with the younger one being an outdoor loving cat.

I'd love to get a rescue cat but it would be nice to know more about what I'm looking for, then I could look out for certain breeds coming up iykwim.

allthecarbs Wed 14-Sep-16 10:06:18

Dh is keen for a ragdoll. They do sound perfect for us but the indoor only bit worries me. How do you manage it in summer when you want the doors or windows open?

Bogburglar75 Wed 14-Sep-16 11:52:37

Bogbastard goes out and loves it - we found a breeder who was happy that we would let him go out. We have a relatively secure large back garden, although it's all relative when your cat can climb fifty feet and jump like a bloody leopard smile. He stays in at night much to his disgust, because I'm neurotic.

I believe you can get screens to go over the windows but don't ask me how you manage with doors. If we opened the back door anywhere near BB he would be out like a shot!

I think some pedigree breeds are more streetwise than others. Bogbastard is fine, has even taken to rat catching, but not sure about others. Don't know about ragdolls, I have a hunch they may not be the most gifted when it comes to survival skills.

Snafflebrain Wed 14-Sep-16 11:57:17

I used to have a Ragdoll. He was allowed out along with my other cats (mix of mogs and pedigree) but was a lazy bugger - I think laziness is at the heart of their laidbackness tbh and didn't really wander out of the small garden we had but was fine outside and ok with traffic on our not very busy road. But their white fur clings to everything - invest heavily in lint rollers if you get one!

JanetWeb2812 Wed 14-Sep-16 13:22:38

Go to your local rescue and let the cat pick you.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 14-Sep-16 13:24:23

Persians are very laid back. They are very much indoor cats but will go into the garden. They don't climb because their legs are too short so the ornaments have nothing to fear. They are very placid and ridiculously well behaved. (Well mine are) also very thick. But very affectionate although not lap cats. Mine were rescues who had a crap life having babies and it's really stunted their development. But they've come on in leaps and bounds in the year I've had them, still not good at being cats though. The owner of the rescue I got them from said I'd never have another breed again. Didn't Believe her at the time but she's so right!

Toddlerteaplease Wed 14-Sep-16 13:25:57

I leave my windows open. One of them will climb out of the lounge window but never out of the kitchen as they wont climb on the units.

allthecarbs Wed 14-Sep-16 13:27:54

Thanks, lots of info here.

I think I may keep an eye out at the local rescues for x breed. My youngest is the perfect mix of mog and persian, I wish I could just double him!

crayfish Wed 14-Sep-16 13:30:27

Don't get a bengal. I love my (I have two) but they are the least chilled out cats in the world. Mine are incredibly needy and demanding and LOUD and are also very clever and loads of fun, but definitely, categorically not chilled out.

allthecarbs Wed 14-Sep-16 13:37:00

I've always loved the look of bengals but I had a nosy on the thread here about them and was put off! They sound awesome but not for me with my children so young and lively still.
Such gorgeous little characters though.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 14-Sep-16 13:47:59

There are specific breed rescues, all our Persians were very calm compared to current Bengal.

crayfish Wed 14-Sep-16 13:49:43

My child is very young and lively too and actually the bengals are great for that because they are so playful and they love it when he runs around with them! You need to be really up for a bengal though, they are the hardest work of any cat I have had.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 14-Sep-16 14:10:13

Op, the rescue I got mine has cross breeds. They've got one called Rupert who needs a home. Google st Francis Persian rescue.

cozietoesie Wed 14-Sep-16 14:14:23

I've always had Siamese as my 'personal' cats and they can be quite chilled out - as long as everything is going the^ir ^way! smile

I suspect that that's true of many cats. grin

Rachcakes Wed 14-Sep-16 15:34:57

I had a half Burmese. She climbed everything and was a bit aloof.

My BSH is only a baby but he loves his snuggles and is a bit silly, but generally easy going.

RubbishMantra Wed 14-Sep-16 15:46:51

Devon Rexes are like little clowns - whatever you're doing, they want to be involved. And preferably the centre of attention.

Very gentle and sweet natured, but probably not what you're looking for.

allthecarbs Wed 14-Sep-16 18:44:58

Thanks Toddlerteaplease. They're not too far from me so I've messaged them. They said they find it harder to rehome the cross breeds so that's lucky for me!

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Wed 14-Sep-16 18:57:28

What about British Shorthair? I have 2. They are not too boisterous, they can be very affectionate. My bigboy is not really a lap cat (he is too big and fat) but he is very loving in other ways, he is always with me, following me around the house, he likes me to talk to him, he just sits there watching me whatever i am doing. I call him my furry stalkergrin

I have always loved shorthairs, they are like living teddybears. mine are now 12 and 11. Boy is a blue and girl is a black silver spotted tabby

cozietoesie Wed 14-Sep-16 19:27:40

Good luck to you and Rupert, all. smile

Toddlerteaplease Wed 14-Sep-16 20:39:21

OP, that's fantastic! Hope you find the kitty for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now