Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours' cat neglected

(7 Posts)
Papergirl1968 Tue 13-Sep-16 23:31:09

Looking for some advice please.
My neighbours opposite have a ragdoll cat. They used to dote on her but after getting a puppy a couple of years ago, seemed to lose interest in the cat.
She seems to be out in all weathers. They told me once there is some shelter at the back of their house, a veranda type thing, I think. She's not getting any younger - possibly around ten - I cant remember if they had her when I moved in.
She is also skin and bone under all her fluff. I think an elderly neighbour feeds her but the neighbour is in and out of hospital.
She miows a lot. Passers by stroke her. She came to our door the other day and was trying to open a pack of dreamies so I gave her a few and have since discovered my DDs have been sneaking her the odd titbit.
I dont know the owners well. I know their names and we say hello. They have two kids. I know I need to talk to them and say I'm concerned. It may shame them into taking better care of the cat. If not, do I contact our local branch of the rspca? I assume they wouldn't just come and take her. The people at our local branch seem very nice - we had our cat from them.
I cant take her in myself - my cat scraps with her.

sparkleglitterdaisy Wed 14-Sep-16 00:26:11

Oh ,how sad for the cat . I'd tell the rspca because then it would be anonymous - people can be pretty unpredictable . I know lots of people haven't had good experiences with the rspca on this forum , but I had a great experience the one time I approached them . I have a ragdoll, they need lots of company . Also ours is 99% indoor cat , ragdoll cats don't always do well outside .

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 14-Sep-16 00:29:13

Do you have a shed you could fit a car door to, make her a bed inside and a bowl of dry food topped up all the time? Bit of fuss from dds and you and she should be a lot happier.

Papergirl1968 Wed 14-Sep-16 00:49:09

No, we dont have a shed, and even if we did I dont think she would venture into the back garden. I've only ever seen her at the front
I'm wondering if its worth trying to encourage her and my cat to get on. Or whether that would just make them both unhappy. My boy did try to be friendly to her but she wasn't interested and chased him off, and so now he has clearly decided not to bother and hisses and growls at her!

thecatneuterer Wed 14-Sep-16 18:31:41

I would try to take her in myself. Cats generally end up getting on or at least tolerating each other after a few weeks of antipathy

Papergirl1968 Wed 14-Sep-16 19:43:38

They were under two cars on the same drive this morning without spitting at each other so progress of a sort!
I just dont know what if anything to say to the owners.

thecatneuterer Fri 16-Sep-16 10:00:36

I wouldn't say anything to the owners. Just start taking care of her yourself. If they say something to you, which they probably won't, then just say that she seems to have taken a shine to your children or something. I doesn't sound as though they will care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now