Loxicom -any palatable alternative?

(21 Posts)
Memoires Mon 12-Sep-16 21:44:56

Our cat has cut her tongue and is finding it hard to eat. The vet has given her ab shot, painkiller shot and dh says another shot but can't remember what it was, and sent her home with soft food and Loxicom. No problem.

3 days later she is still finding it hard to eat, is still hungry but won't eat food with the loxicom on it (the other cats try to wolf it down after she's walked off in disgust - we have to stand guard!). She's not meant to have it for much longer anyway, but she's not really had any yet!

cozietoesie Mon 12-Sep-16 21:52:53

I'd give your vet a buzz and explain the situation. Will she eat food if it doesn't have the meds mixed in?

Memoires Mon 12-Sep-16 22:01:11

Yes, but with difficulty, clearly painful, so she gives up quickly. We try to feed her little and often.

Olinguito Tue 13-Sep-16 00:29:52

Does your cat like Lick-e-Lix? I find it's good for hiding meds. It has a yoghurty consistency, so might be easier for her to eat.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 13-Sep-16 08:41:52

When Harry broke his jaw we bought some Hills AD from the vet. It's really soft and we managed to disguise the Loxicom in it. You could see the look of disappointment on his face when he stopped having it!

Memoires Tue 13-Sep-16 10:04:01

Lick-e-lix? I shall google it!

We had a tin of very soft food from the vet at the cost of a king's ransome, probably Hill's but I didn't look too hard; when we added the Loxicom, she rejected it mournfully and sloped off. The other cats loved it......

Memoires Tue 13-Sep-16 10:05:51

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I am going to do the sensible thing and phone the vet for advice (should have done that in the first place blush)

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 13-Sep-16 12:35:36

We had a tin of very soft food from the vet at the cost of a king's ransome, probably Hill's but I didn't look too hard; when we added the Loxicom, she rejected it mournfully and sloped off. The other cats loved it......

Harry loved the AD - when I visited him at the vets they were trying to tempt him to eat and they told me it was like chocolate for cats. I laughed and told them he wouldn't eat it as he was so fussy. He scoffed it down! well as much as you can when you've had a GA, lost a load of teeth and you've got a lump of wire in your jaw! I felt mean when I stopped giving it to him!

Now Lick-e-Lix is a different matter. When I offered it to him he couldn't get far enough away, his chin was practically in his chest! It was a bit like watching a tortoise retract into it's shell!

Memoires Tue 13-Sep-16 12:42:01

grin I know that look!

Memoires Tue 13-Sep-16 12:47:09

Blimey Lick-e-lix is expensive! I think we'll pass.

News on the cat is that she ate her breakfast much more easily, her tongue is improving. DH thinks we shouldn't bother the vet again as it's clearly getting better - and we've already paid the vet a huge sum!

UptownFlunk Tue 13-Sep-16 13:08:54

I have to give my cat Loxicom and it comes in a syringe that is squirted into his mouth - maybe that would work better that putting it into her food? I'm lucky in that my cat loves it though and will run into the room, sit next to me and open his mouth if he hears me getting the bottle out!

cozietoesie Tue 13-Sep-16 14:06:39

You said she was due to come off it quickly, anyway, so maybe she'll be OK now? Keep a weather eye on her and give her some slurpy food for the foreseeable, I reckon.

Do you know how she cut her tongue?

Memoires Tue 13-Sep-16 16:52:34

No idea how she did it at all. There is building work going on close by and we are having our windows done so she could have just been scent marking (with her tongue out?! no, probably not). Actually I can't imagine unless she was licking something sharp grin but why/what on earth?

Anyway, yes, her last dose was due this evening. Only one dose a day. The vet said the tongue was starting to heal when we took her in on Saturday which is why she escaped having it stitched. She is eating more easily now, and we have lush expensive soft stuff for her. You're right, cosie, no sense in upsetting her more, we'll just keep an eye on her.

Uptownflunk, perhaps your cat could have a word with my cat?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 13-Sep-16 17:15:36

Actually I can't imagine unless she was licking something sharp grin but why/what on earth?

We've had a skip delivered and some of the reflective plates are bent outwards. I caught my dopy cat sent marking the sharp corners!

cozietoesie Tue 13-Sep-16 17:19:06

It's a weird injury. The only thing I can think of is her trying to lick out a can which has been left lying around somewhere - something like that.

Good luck to her.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 13-Sep-16 17:22:48

Tin can lick injuries - actually remarkably common, you can usually link them to recycling day.

cozietoesie Tue 13-Sep-16 17:25:04

Do you see quite a few of them at your practice, Lone?

evilgiraffe Tue 13-Sep-16 17:45:23

When we get loxicom it has a syringe for dosing - I am a bit rubbish but our vet nurse just squirted it straight into Stupidcat's mouth, no bother.

Failing that, loxicom in miniscule amounts of tasty gravy food - so she gets the meds in a couple of mouthfuls - followed by the rest of the food that has not been "contaminated"! Ot is difficult when they won't eat.

Marmite or turkey bisto (the only one with real meat in it, as far as I can tell) also help, but perhaps salty stuff wouldn't be too appealing with a tongue injury.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 14-Sep-16 10:51:34

Yes Cozie about one every 3 months or so. Our tin cans go for recycling in a stupid canvas bag that is really easy access for cats.

cozietoesie Wed 14-Sep-16 11:43:25

Gosh. I've never had an outside going cat who demonstrated that type of injury. Luck of the draw, I guess. smile

Memoires Thu 15-Sep-16 18:43:17

Tins!!!!! Of course! smile Thanks Lone.

Our tins aren't left in a lickable state, but she goes outside as and when she likes so it's entirely reasonable that she licked a can lying about somewhere.

Cosie I've not come across it in 55 years of owning cats. Very lucky, clearly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now