8 week old kitten, still has live flea's despite treatment

(23 Posts)
AnneGables Fri 09-Sep-16 16:29:50

Arghh I can't bear it. Poor thing was riddled with them, he had the spot on treatment at the vets yesterday.

I pulled 20 drowsy ones off him last night and a few dead ones today, but can still see some moving in his fur.

What can I do? I don't think he can be treated again now can he?

Spraying the house and hoovering like mad, feel like hoovering the kitten, but best not, he is only a tiny thing.

Soubriquet Fri 09-Sep-16 16:30:31

What spot on did you use?

Some are less effective than othersb

TheEmmaDilemma Fri 09-Sep-16 16:33:58

Per Frontline:

95% of the problem exists in the pet's environment as flea eggs, larvae and pupae (cocoons). New fleas can jump on your pet at any time from an infested environment. That is why it is normal to see some fleas on a treated pet. Each new flea takes up to 24 hours to kill.

So it could be there are still some in the environment.

Lots of good info here:

uk.frontline.com/Pages/Faq.asp

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 09-Sep-16 16:38:10

It's only a day, they need to be alive and to bite him before dying.

AnneGables Fri 09-Sep-16 16:44:15

Ok thank you that makes me feel a bit better, so we should see them depleting soon. I think I expected them to all just drop dead.

I don't know what the vet used, but we're back on Tues for vaccinations so will ask then.

Thank you, he is absolutely gorgeous and so friendly, so at least they're not bothering him too much.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 09-Sep-16 17:07:34

I suspect if it was that strong the kitten would drop dead too.

The first flea attack always makes you feel icky.

TheEmmaDilemma Fri 09-Sep-16 17:24:37

Vets usually use Frontline.

Never use Bob Martin, just a tip, unless you want a dead kitten.

Vinorosso74 Fri 09-Sep-16 17:49:49

I didn't think vets used Frontline anymore as it's no longer effective. Ours recommend and use Stronghold and one of the ones beginning with A either Advocate or Advantage.
It takes longer than a day for them to die.

AnneGables Fri 09-Sep-16 19:48:30

Thank you all, feeling much better about it now, just need to stop reading stories about homes being infested.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Fri 09-Sep-16 20:57:19

Advocate is the only thing I have found that works.

Keep brushing the fleas out with a nit comb.

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 09-Sep-16 21:43:48

Advocate is working well for us. Frontline is becoming ineffective in some areas. As a PP said the fleas need to bite the kitten before they die and only 5% will be on the cat, so you will need to spray the house with indorex or acclaim. Make sure you spray cracks between walls and carpets, edges of sofas and mattresses etc.Wash bedding on high.
There are lots of thread about fleas on this forum, including my own, have a read for more advice! Pleased to say we are on top of it for now at least!

Wolfiefan Fri 09-Sep-16 21:45:58

We use advocate.
Slightly worried by all the talk of infestations on here. shock

RedWearsPrettyShoes Fri 09-Sep-16 21:52:18

I used advocate when my house cat got them a few years ago. I didn't think house cats could get them. I treat mine every 3 months now with advocate, and when he did have the fleas, I used Indorex house spray. It took a couple of weeks for them all to die off completely but haven't had a problem since, thankfully. Like already mentioned, don't use Bob Martins. It doesn't work and could kill your cat.

SecretNutellaFix Fri 09-Sep-16 22:05:56

I second getting a tin of indorex tomorrow- and don't forget to spray underneath sofas and armchairs either.

We use advocate and advantage and swap them around so that the fleas don't get as much of a chance to become immune to them.

Keep combing him- it's going to be a couple of days at least until he's clear because of the new ones hatching and grooming will help shift the eggs as well. Plus, keep up with the combing- it will stand you in good stead later on in his life.

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 09-Sep-16 22:51:50

Comb the kitten, spray the environment and keep hoovering. I had a hideous infestation with my old girl last year and finally sorted it with diatomaceous earth. You need to leave it down a couple of days and it's a pig to Hoover up but it does the trick!

RubbishMantra Sat 10-Sep-16 01:02:41

And dampen the nit/flea comb so the bitey little bastards stick to it, and a cup of boiling water to, well, boil/drown them in. Make sure hot water is placed safely in case kitten decides to dash off your lap - you don't want him scalding himself.

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 10-Sep-16 07:29:27

Or soapy warm water, they can't jump out, very satisfying!

AnneGables Sat 10-Sep-16 07:47:47

I combed him for hours last night, he loved it ha ha. Quite grossed out by the amount of dirt and fleas I got, good tip about the soapy water, I will drown them tonight.

I have got a can of indorex, is the kitten ok to go back in the room after spraying?

AnneGables Sat 10-Sep-16 07:50:58

This is the trouble maker grin

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 10-Sep-16 07:52:38

He's a beauty. Keep the cat out of the room after spraying indorex, it's toxic stuff.

AnneGables Sat 10-Sep-16 08:11:45

Thanks fluffy how long will he need to be kept out for?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 10-Sep-16 08:13:11

It'll be on the pack. You have to read the instructions really careful.

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 10-Sep-16 09:01:34

Ahhhh so sweet! Bless. Hope you get it sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now