Fussy eating after surgery

(9 Posts)
littleladyluna Mon 05-Sep-16 00:37:26

Our beautiful foster cat has recently had surgery to remove his eye sad

He's gone from eating a pouch in the morning and evening, and free feeding dry food all day to barely eating a pouch. He won't touch the dry food. The only thing he chomps away at is tuna (to encourage him to take his medication - Loxicom) and Dreamies.

He also hasn't been for a poo since he was discharged two days ago (he has been going for a wee though) and I wonder if this has something to do with it. Anyway, I'd prefer not to give tins of tuna daily - can anyone recommend a tasty food to encourage him to eat?

Thanks!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 05-Sep-16 09:41:20

When Harry fractured his jaw the vet recommended Hills A/D and, suprisingly, he loved it. It's like a pate and is designed for cats and dogs recovering from surgery. It's not cheap and can only be bought from the vet but it's quite rich and a little goes a long way.

I hope he's feeling better soon.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 05-Sep-16 09:56:42

You are giving it tuna. Why should she put up with second rate cat food when there is something better on offer! grin

sugarplumfairy28 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:11:43

Post surgery, we were told just to indulge them just to make sure they are eating and get their strength up. Maybe try mixing the tuna in with normal pouches and ween him off over a few days.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:51:03

Have you tried rotisserie chicken off the supermarket? I think losing an eye warrants spoiling. Poor boy.

littleladyluna Mon 05-Sep-16 23:27:38

I would happily go halves on a rotisserie chicken with him fluffy!

I raided the local pet shop earlier and bought assorted pouches and tiny tins. Turns out the pouches that cost nearly £1 each were his favourite - of course! That being said, as long as he recovers quickly I'm happy. Thank you for all your ideas!

RubbishMantra Tue 06-Sep-16 16:11:25

There's something called Webbox Lick-e-Lix (sp. poss. wrong), and apparently cats go mad for it. See if he'll lick some off your finger, to check he likes it, and you could mix it in with his food to tempt him?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 06-Sep-16 16:39:07

There's something called Webbox Lick-e-Lix (sp. poss. wrong), and apparently cats go mad for it.

Mine looked at it as though I was trying to poison him! I put it in front of him and he sort of retracted his head as far away from it as possible, a bit like a tortoise retreating into it's shell!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Sep-16 19:31:47

My childhood cats all loved chicken livers but ours reacts like I'm trying to poison him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now