Can someone settle a argument for us

(8 Posts)
doughnutcraver Sun 04-Sep-16 20:27:39

We have a indoor cat and I use flea treatment and worming tablets from the vets every 4 weeks. Dh is saying that I am being ripped off as the cat doesn't go anywhere to get fleas or worms. I can see his point but not sure which is correct so wont stop unless I'm sure.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 04-Sep-16 20:35:29

Worming not sure but flea eggs can be bought in on shoes.

FuzzyWizard Sun 04-Sep-16 20:40:17

My mum never used to flea treat her indoor cats. For years it was fine but then someone must have brought in a flea or eggs somehow and she got a dreadful
Infestation that took months to shift. She now treats them regularly just in case.

doughnutcraver Sun 04-Sep-16 20:48:42

Not worth the risk then. Thanks so much.

cozietoesie Sun 04-Sep-16 20:49:36

I think, personally, that indoor cats have less risk - especially with worms - but not zero risk. (And fleas can be the devil to shift if they become established.) Anybody could harbour a flea or an egg - which they could pick up anywhere - and houses are not sealed environments. And an indoor cat who was also a hunter might also hunt mice or other rodents inside the house if there were any. (Worms etc.)

I reckon that every 4 weeks is pushing it for the worm treatment especially but I'd still be treating the cat for both, inside or not. Maybe just not quite as frequently.

Allergictoironing Sun 04-Sep-16 22:08:39

I indoor cats, and have been recommended by both the rescue and the vets to do both about every 6 months.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 04-Sep-16 22:20:39

Actually several studies have found that indoor cats are exposed to worms, tapeworms through flea eggs and roundworms from small vermin that come in the house - even where the home owners have never seen any vermin. Worming for indoor cats is recommended every 6 months.

cozietoesie Sun 04-Sep-16 22:43:05

I probably worm Seniorboy about that, old as he is. (He did have a couple of notches on his belt from his youth indoors - and this house has mice. (Or so I deduce when The Lodger visits.))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now