Talk

Advanced search

Is the Furminator safe and any good?

(14 Posts)
CatsGoPurrrr Sun 04-Sep-16 13:54:46

My lovely kitty is 9 and sheds a lot, esp in this weather. I have a wire brush thingy which I use to groom her, but it doesn't seem to keep on top of the shedding. She is a short hair cat, but it seems to have longer wispy fur too:

The reviews of the Furminator seem good. Has anyone here for one and would they recommend it?

And gratuitous cat pick.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 04-Sep-16 13:55:54

We use one on our girl. She loves it and it's really improved the shedding.

AliceInHinterland Sun 04-Sep-16 13:56:14

I have one for my short-ish haired dog. They are very satisfying as they get out loads of dead hair and leave the coat nice and glossy. Definitely safe as far as I can tell!

NotYoda Sun 04-Sep-16 13:58:10

We used it on our cat.

She was very old and had some clumps on her chest and just in front of her tail, which I used to brush out with a normal ccat brush before using the fulminator

She was a real shedder, and we used to end up with a pile of fur half her size!

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 04-Sep-16 13:58:20

Yes, I love it and it does help with the shedding

NotYoda Sun 04-Sep-16 13:58:51

furminator, nor fulminator

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 04-Sep-16 16:15:55

I hate it them ( and most groomers do too) as they sort of rip live hair out as well as taking dead. I really like the Zoom Groom and it's rubber massages the cat at the same time.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 04-Sep-16 17:33:30

I had one for my long haired Persians and was forever getting knots. Took them too a groomer who was unimpressed with my grooming as furminators don't get rid of the undercoat. I use a metal comb with wide teeth and get loads of fur off. (The groomer filled a carrier bag with fur) They have only had a couple of small knots since and their coat doesn't go static. I also have a kids tangle teaser for a quick going over. Don't ware your money.

RubbishMantra Sun 04-Sep-16 19:35:39

Another vote for the Zoom Groom for a short haired cat. Do it in the garden though, to avoid the clouds of hair in your house.

Madbengalmum Sun 04-Sep-16 19:40:06

They are not good for some dogs because they bugger up the dogs guard hairs and in turn their coat. Certain breeds they are disastrous for.
Cats though i m afraid i cant comment,but have sucessfully used a zoomgroom in the past.

Wolfiefan Sun 04-Sep-16 19:40:13

Like NotYoda we use done on our elderly semi long haired girl. It got out the undercoat that constantly knotted (even with daily or even more frequent grooming.)

NattyGolfJerkin Sun 04-Sep-16 19:48:37

My old boy didn't like it because he was quite bony and it was quite harsh. It was good on his hair though but not very gentle on his old skin & bones

thecatsclinkers Sun 04-Sep-16 19:57:36

I've had cats for decades and the furminator is amazing. Would work a treat on your lovely ( hairy) cat!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 04-Sep-16 19:57:50

Ours loves his but I've been eyeing up zoom grooms on eBay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now