Bengal Bat Hunter

(8 Posts)
RustyPaperclip Mon 29-Aug-16 22:49:07

So I was getting ready to go to bed and went to fetch a glass of water and check that the cats were in. Bengal boy was sniffing something on the floor and in my sleepy state I at first thought it was a leaf or something. But no, it was the cutest little bat. DH managed to pick it up but it passed away very quickly. I have had cats that have caught birds, frogs, slow worms etc, but never a bat! Poor little thing, I'm baffled how he got close enough to catch it!

There are a lot of bats in the area and I know that they are protected, so God forbid this happens again, what would you do? I have had minimal response from RSPCA in the past for stray dogs so I don't know if they would be much help for bats, and there used to be a wildlife centre near me but that is now shut.

RubbishMantra Mon 29-Aug-16 23:02:24

There's been a few threads lately about cats bringing bats home.

Might be because it's breeding season for them, and if Bengal Boy has found a colony, the younger fledglings(?) would be an easier target. And Bengals can jump vertically can't they?

When I was little, away at a convent boarding school, a bat flew in. We were all leaping about trying to catch the little thing. A nun (our dorm mistress came in and squashed it against the ceiling with a broom shock then just chucked it out the window! It made my friend and I cry our eyes out. And she killed my pet stick insect. bitch

RustyPaperclip Mon 29-Aug-16 23:14:13

Thank you Mantra I must have missed the other threads. Certainly our boy is a good at jumping!

Bloody hell, I thought nuns would be compassionate (clearly didn't attend a convent school). This poor little bat was beautiful and Bengal boy was sadly so proud of himself.

I've lived in this area on and off for years with loads of cats, but first time Bengal owner so the key might be in the breed

RubbishMantra Mon 29-Aug-16 23:16:02

Sorry Rusty, in my angst about seeing a nun squash a little bat, I forgot to answer your question about what to do. Ensure cat's indoors before dusk falls, as that's when bats are most active.

There's usually bat enthusiast clubs - especially as you have colonies in your area. Maybe have a google and find your local one and ask their advice?

RustyPaperclip Mon 29-Aug-16 23:24:00

We normally do have them in before dusk but we were a bit late this time blush I will have a Google and I believe FIL knows a thing or two about bats so will check with him. I believe with baby birds that you need to return them close to the nest. Is it the same with bats? Poor thing passed away whilst we were trying to decide what to do sad

sashh Tue 30-Aug-16 02:12:20

Bloody hell, I thought nuns would be compassionate (clearly didn't attend a convent school).

LOL at nuns compassionate. I was once in a pub ordering drinks and talking to a friend at the same time. I said something to my friend about going to schools run by the Sisters of Mercy. The barmaid was Irish and wouldn't take money for my drink as I was, 'A poor wee thing, being taught be them'.

As for bats - no expert but I'm sure on a wildlife hospital TV thing that they put bats in a tea towel that is doubled and hung up - the bat clings on to the tea towel and the 'loop' means if it falls it doesn't drop far.

I've just googled what I put and this seems very clear

www.bedsbatgroup.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2011-7-what-to-with-a-grounded-bat.pdf

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:18:18

Keep him in at night. Hopefully he won't get another.

RustyPaperclip Tue 30-Aug-16 19:21:44

We always keep both cats in as soon as it gets dark. Unfortunately we were just a bit too late this time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now