Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else's cat eating less, due to the heat?

(13 Posts)
RubbishMantra Fri 26-Aug-16 16:25:25

Both of my boys are eating much less than usual (2 thirds of their usual amount maybe?)

Is anyone else experiencing this?

And Little M, usually very playful , will join in on a play session (got loads of toys, so it's not boredom of the same toy) starts a play session, but has enough quite quickly.

Is it just the heat, or should I vet them?

cozietoesie Fri 26-Aug-16 16:30:17

What temperatures have you got there?

RubbishMantra Fri 26-Aug-16 16:36:07

28 degrees Cozie, and barely any breeze. I'm feeling the heat myself, and not feeling particularly hungry and I have to remind myself to eat.

Butterflystar76 Fri 26-Aug-16 16:36:58

I am sure it is the heat, 3 very sleepy cats here, not eating much.
Big boy cat kept disappearing for s few days at a time too and we have put that down to the heat smile

FuzzyWizard Fri 26-Aug-16 17:10:37

It's high 20s here. Topped 30 yesterday. She's flooping about a bit and seems less interested in playing but nothing seems to put her off her food. She behaves like she's starving all the time, even trying to steal the fish food from shelves she can't quite reach. All food is wolfed down the second it hits the bowl.

cozietoesie Fri 26-Aug-16 17:21:39

Crikey. It makes us look like the Arctic.

I'm sure the heat is - if not completely doing it - at least a very strong factor. Are they more active in the early morning or late evening?

RubbishMantra Fri 26-Aug-16 17:24:14

That's reassuring Butterfly, thank you. (smile)

cozietoesie Fri 26-Aug-16 17:38:24

I doubt I'd be able to cope with 28 myself.

RubbishMantra Fri 26-Aug-16 17:51:31

Active early morning, then active again when it cools in the evening.

Just changed the attachment to the flying frenzy, and little M had an enthusiastic leap about, followed by lying on his back, pawing at it. MCat's far too sensible (and has a much thicker coat) and has found a draught above the cellar trap-doors to lie next to. (smile)

I think they're OK, thanks for the reassurance.

Allergictoironing Fri 26-Aug-16 18:51:59

Low to mid 30's here. Mine are eating slightly less both wet and dry, and are totally floomped from about 9am until 9pm.

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 26-Aug-16 19:02:52

No, but then we're not in the hottest parts. Zara has some diarrhea and I wondered if it was the heat (but more likely to be drinking rainwater from plantpots). She's eating fine though. As to Bibi, if she ever loses her appetite, it's emergency vet time for sure.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 26-Aug-16 19:06:39

Yes. I think they've barely touched their food. Though they tend to pig out in the evening. They are drinking quite a bit more though.

sonlypuppyfat Fri 26-Aug-16 19:13:47

I hardly see my Tommy this weather he just comes in for food, stares at us for a couple of minutes then he buggers off again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now