Talk

Advanced search

When and how do I let kitten outside ??

(13 Posts)
Kenworthington Fri 26-Aug-16 12:16:31

So Colin has been with us nearly 2 weeks, he's had all his jabs but isn't yet neutered. He's about 16 weeks now. His previous owner used to let him go outside (before his jabs grrrr) and he's desperate to get out. But am anxious about it. He's bloody crazy, not flipping scared or timid at all. He accidentally shot out the back door earlier this week and he was off like a rocket and it was a mad panic to catch him! Anyway it's a proper nuisance having to watch the back door and windows all the time. I'm keen for him to be able to go out safely but I need to do some serious cat proofing in the garden first. I also don't yet have a cat flap. Should I get that installed first? Am happy to let him in and out via the door in the meantime. Am just concerned he hasn't been here long enough yet to know to come home! Any advice gratefully received!

CatsTats Fri 26-Aug-16 12:18:25

I didn't let mine out until they were both neutered.

Missgraeme Fri 26-Aug-16 12:19:43

Just leave the door open when u are there. Don't feed him before hand tho! Train him to come in with the sound of a dry cat food box and his name! Maybe sit in the garden with a coffee and he will gain confidence out there! Its great when they are discovering their territory!!

MuggaTea Fri 26-Aug-16 12:24:33

is he chipped? you can also get very lightweight bluetooth tracker devices for cat-collars for when you panic that you can't see him.

Kenworthington Fri 26-Aug-16 12:33:11

He is chipped he's but I can't get a collar on him for love nor money. Well, I can get it on with a struggle but 5 seconds later he's got it off again! He won't be neutered til at least another month. I'm not sure any of us can wait that long tbh.

Back garden set up is not great, we have a courtyard that goes into the garage (but can and will shut the door as its full of motorbikes) then stairs up from courtyard into small garden at the top.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 26-Aug-16 12:38:07

I've never let any of mine out until they were neutered (currently have 16)

MuggaTea Fri 26-Aug-16 12:39:01

I don't believe there is such a thing as a cat proof garden.

1) he will get out.
2) you will panic you can't see him (personal experience).

as PP said, ensure he is hungry when first let out.
some people let cats explore on harnesses.

I would assume that as its a he, i would be less worried that he is not neutered yet.

Kenworthington Fri 26-Aug-16 12:44:08

Oh god general consensus seems to be we need to wait for the neutering. Bums.
He's totally mental, I'm on edge the whole time! Stupid twat fell into my bath this morning. After falling in the sink last night, and knocking over a big pot plant all over the kitchen floor. It's a good job he's cute!

Kenworthington Fri 26-Aug-16 12:45:09

😂 at his 'fuccccccck! What have a done? I'm trapppppped! Face'

BluishSky Fri 26-Aug-16 12:56:10

My garden is cat proofed confused Much safer for the cat.

Kenworthington Fri 26-Aug-16 13:01:16

We do have an old wrought iron gate we could put at the base of the stairs to the garden and maybe attach some wood behind it so he can't get up there. He's not as great at jumping as he thinks he is so I don't think he'll be able to get over it just yet.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 27-Aug-16 18:06:18

I wouldn't let one out pre trouble nut removal. Too flighty.

Is he big enough to be neutered? We had to wait until 22 weeks and I was getting savaged every night.

Kenworthington Sat 27-Aug-16 19:18:38

Well. Against my better judgement and actually without my knowledge bloody dh let him out this morning. Thought he had cat proofed the courtyard then all of a sudden he kept onto the rockery wall, shot up the garden and squeezed himself behind the Wendy house. Cue massive panic! Eventually got him back by cornering him and luring him with his feather toy. Was not pleased. Suffice to say we will not be trying again for a while. And gave dh a bolloxking. Now of course bloody cat has had a fast of the outdoors he's miaowing pitifully at The door constantly and keeps bolting for it every time he hears the door open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now