Talk

Advanced search

Little M finally gone over the wall.

(12 Posts)
RubbishMantra Thu 25-Aug-16 21:37:21

He's 2.5 years old, and the only interest he's shown beyond the garden is sitting on the wall, and smelling the breeze and chattering at the birds.

Well tonight, when I called him in, he scrambled over the wall, so he'd finally plucked up the courage to explore. Which a) I'm glad his life will be more full of adventures, but b) he's such a friendly, trusting little soul.

He only has access backing onto the gardens behind our row of terraces, and my other big bruiser of a cat doesn't venture further than those. Cat-proofing the courtyard isn't an option, as it's shared.

It'll be OK won't it? I know that loads of other people with pedigree cats on this board let them free range, and they're OK?

I have Loca8tors on their snap release collars, but maybe I'll upgrade to real-time GPSs for them.

I wish there was a way to track them via their microchips.

Potentialmadcatlady Thu 25-Aug-16 23:48:30

Ooh scary but good? My Devon won't be allowed out ( part of agreement) but I had a run built of my kitchen so she will be able to sit out when she's big enough to get out kitchen window...do you know the people whose gardens he can get into? Could you introduce yourself so they know where he belongs if he stays out too long?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 26-Aug-16 06:57:04

Is he back?.

RubbishMantra Fri 26-Aug-16 10:24:12

That's a good idea Potential. his address and phone number are on his tag.

He was scrambling over the wall to come in when I saw him Fluffy.

BluishSky Fri 26-Aug-16 13:03:09

I'm afraid I've seen too many cats go missing to let mine free roam...

Yoghurty Fri 26-Aug-16 18:16:52

We have a Devon coming to join us in October, and we're just having a catio built so that he can go outside without leaving the garden. Our other cat (moggy) is free-range grin She isn't friendly to strangers though and won't let people she doesn't know stroke or pick her up- we've had Devon's before and they are too darn trusting!

If he's not going far, I'm sure your boy is fine if you're regularly calling him back in

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 26-Aug-16 19:08:26

I think a lot depends on the cat. Little M sounds like he'll be fine. I wouldn't let Bibi roam even if we lived in a more suitable area because she hates all other cats except Zara with the passion of a thousand fiery suns, and would undoubtedly come home injured, or, more likely, having battered every cat in the street. Little M sounds like a lover, not a fighter, though.

Bogburglar75 Fri 26-Aug-16 19:15:00

Eek. Scary isn't it?

Bogbastard is allowed to roam but I call him in at night. Scares the crap out of me but he has a very happy existence which I would hate to deny him (cf what a mess thread!). I assume that letting pedigrees roam depends on the breed? Siberians havent been bred away from the wildcat version for that long, so I think he has enough street smarts to look after himself out there. I don't know what Devons are like but LittleM sounds quite smart?

Bogbastard is a stone of huge hairy beast who could take down the neighbourhood with no bother. In actual fact I gather he goes to visit next doors shy, petite lady cat and if he steps out of line she apparently bats him one and he submits grin

Bogburglar75 Fri 26-Aug-16 19:16:58

PS I got Bogbastard a GPS tag but a) it wasn't accurate enough to say more than 'in the general area' which wasn't hugely helpful and b) he lost it within a week.

I'm thinking of a Loc8or or TrackR which would also have our phone no on it.

Potentialmadcatlady Fri 26-Aug-16 19:21:19

Oh more Devon pictures to see then..Yay Yogurty

Yoghurty Sat 27-Aug-16 13:36:42

Potential- yes, more Devon photos!

I'll obviously keep everyone posted grin

RubbishMantra Sat 27-Aug-16 16:29:17

I wish I could have a catio built, but it's a shared courtyard, so also not possible to cat-proof. You're right yoghurty, they're a very trusting breed.

Put it this way, when I'm at home, (most of the time due to an illness) the Loca8tor receiver is on me at all times. If he doesn't check in hourly, I go searching. <not overprotective at all> grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now