Kitten good advice please!

(7 Posts)
ImNotAFlower Tue 23-Aug-16 14:56:36

We have this weekend aquired a 13 week old kitten (long story) he came with half a box of kitten Whiskers dry food (which my research tells me may as well have been a Happy Meal confused)
I want to feed him well and preferably on dried food (vet recommended this I'm prepared to be told that I am wrong) but there seems to be a million different ones out there and I'm drowning in information, some help and advice would really be appreciated... I gave him some tuna at lunchtime... He liked that wink

ImNotAFlower Tue 23-Aug-16 14:58:05

Great start I can't spell! *food In the title not good!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 23-Aug-16 15:21:42

any cereal free kitten food, wet is good for males because they can be prone to uti's

Wolfiefan Tue 23-Aug-16 15:23:18

I wouldn't feed totally dry as our boy was prone to cystitis.
We have tried lots of high meat content food. They turned their noses up at most of it. Grain free helps to stop the stinky butt syndrome!!

MerricatsHouse Tue 23-Aug-16 15:40:21

We've just switched our 4 month old kitten to Applaws dry kitten food - it's 80% meat, cereal free and complete. He has wet food too so snacks on the dry in the daytime and alongside various wet foods. He seems to like it and doesn't miss the Purina he started out on.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 23-Aug-16 16:11:14

I ordered amionda carney for ours & extolled its virtues to Dh. The cat would not eat it. I gave it to the cpl collection point in the supermarket in the end.

We stick to cereal free now too.

ImNotAFlower Tue 23-Aug-16 20:35:56

Thank you all for your replies. I spent today in three pet shops and in the end went to the vets who are going to be looking after his care and brought the dry high meat food they recommend and have got him some wet food too.
His backside currently STINKS! any idea how long on the new food before that should stop?
For laughs he ate a piece of pasta that the toddler dropped from the table at dinner time.... The toddler melted down and made me put the kitten on the naughty spot.
How come I inherit a kitten and not a large cheque? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now