Talk

Advanced search

What do I need?

(14 Posts)
Lovelongweekends Mon 22-Aug-16 19:56:11

We are hopefully going to be getting (pending home inspection) a gorgeous three year old female tabby from a local rescue centre in the next week or so.
I've grown up with cats but this is my first one as the responsible adult so please may I check if I've forgotten anything important?
We have a litter tray plus litter, cat bed, food (same as she is currently on), toys, food bowl and water bowl.
What have I forgotten please? Also any tips on helping a new cat settle in would be greatly appreciated- thank you!

PosiePootlePerkins Mon 22-Aug-16 20:51:12

Can you take her a blanket from home, with the house smells on, to have in the rescue and then bring home? We did this with our newly adopted cat.
Congratulations!

Lovelongweekends Mon 22-Aug-16 21:02:52

Good idea, I'll do that. Thank you!

FuzzyOwl Mon 22-Aug-16 21:06:36

If she is nervous or anxious, you can get a plug in called feliway that helps some cats. As well as the cat bed you have, something like a cardboard box is often liked as a safe little hidey hole. You might want to get a scratching post as well and I see nothing wrong with the occasional bribe in the form of Dreamies.

Good luck with everything and I hope you new ruler settles in well.

Geraniumred Mon 22-Aug-16 21:09:24

You'll be given advice from the rescue centre, but keeping her in one room is a good idea at the start, especially if she seems nervous.

Lovelongweekends Mon 22-Aug-16 21:17:32

Yes, she'll stay in the kitchen and conservatory to start with. They've said she hasn't been nervous or anxious at the rescue centre which is a good sign and she was very friendly!

PosiePootlePerkins Mon 22-Aug-16 21:25:01

That's a good sign, we were fully prepared to keep our cat in one room but she was extremely nosey and wanted to explore everywhere! She's settled really quickly, and is desperate to explore outside, but she'll have to be a bit patient! I would say just play it by ear and let your cat lead the way. You are, after all, their new slave!winkgrin

Geraniumred Mon 22-Aug-16 21:28:33

You sound like you are well prepared. We had one who was super confident on the first day and another who lived under the kitchen table for a week!

PolterGoose Mon 22-Aug-16 21:30:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsBertMacklin Mon 22-Aug-16 21:34:07

The most essential thing is to post photos on here ASAP!

Don't think anyone has mentioned a grooming kit yet. I love the Furminator, worth the money. And claw clippers.

FuzzyWizard Mon 22-Aug-16 21:35:57

We adopted a cat last week. We kept her in one room for the first couple of days but she was keen to explore pretty quickly. She does now see that room as her own safe space though and she sleeps there at night as I don't let her in our room due to allergies. Put her food as far away from the litter as possible within the room you're starting her off in and put her water bowl a bit of a distance away from her food. I'd get a brush too. Our cat is longhaired so it was a necessity for us but most cats like being groomed so it's good for bonding. We're also clicker training our cat. She has to work a bit for her evening biscuits (we're doing high-five) and it's a nice way to spend some time interacting with her. She seems to like it. I bought the clicker in poundland.

FuzzyWizard Mon 22-Aug-16 21:36:25

X-posts

Lovelongweekends Mon 22-Aug-16 21:48:01

Brilliant suggestions, thank you! I shall post photos as soon as she's here (and settled!).

TroysMammy Tue 23-Aug-16 21:14:06

Insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now