Cat proofing: is there a point or is it fair if 1) you don't have a porch 2) you've only one cat

(6 Posts)
FoxesOnSocks Fri 19-Aug-16 16:30:42

With a combination of there being a unneutered Tom that attacks all other cats and the fact one kid on our estate throws stones at cats now has a pellet gun, I'd like to keep FoxesCat in my garden.

But I don't have a porch, so everyone would need to be on high alert when the front door is opened or he'd get out. This is very likely to happen as people are in and out of the house frequently. Plus if I did cat proof despite this fact he'd only be able to get back in through the front door as he wouldn't be able to get in the back!!

That aside he's a lone cat, I know cats are fairly solitary creatures be would I be isolating him?

Obviously the getting out the front is my biggest issue - as he won't be alone as we live in the house and ultimately his remaining unjured rates higher that cat buddies in my mind

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 19-Aug-16 17:02:21

We're going to be cat proofing the garden and this is my big worry. I don't have any words of wisdom but I'll be following the thread with interest.

RubbishMantra Fri 19-Aug-16 17:27:31

Is there a possibility of having a porch built, or like my house, does it open straight out onto the pavement? Bear in mind that even if you cat proof your garden, the unneutered tom will still be able to get in, but not get out.

Do you have a community PC to go and have a word this this nasty little boy and his parents? Or dial 101. That would be my first course of action.

Do you know who owns this entire tom? I'd be having a word with them too, about the havoc he's wreaking amongst the local cats, risk of disease, wandering off for miles in search of a female in heat etc. Or perhaps he's a stray, in which case ring your local cat rescue and they'll trap and neuter him. (You may have to ring round a few.)

You could put a paper collar on him, and put your own wording on it - ie. "I am concerned about your cat", and your contact number. Maybe you could do same to stone throwing pellet gun little shit boy. grin

FoxesOnSocks Fri 19-Aug-16 17:46:06

Not allowed to build a porch (something to do with the drain location) which is a right pain.

FoxesOnSocks Fri 19-Aug-16 17:55:06

Already tried speaking to the owner of the Tom, he won't 'can't afford it' 'you shouldn't let a tiny cat out' (my cat is NOT small!) I've actually considered TNR!!

No 101 (not in the uk), doubt I can do anything about the boy, I don't live in a very cat loving country to be honest. sad.

Pain in the bum.

bobblehead Sat 20-Aug-16 19:55:59

We live in a city (not UK) that doesn't allow cats to roam, so we recently cat proofed our garden. I'm so happy with at as one cat was a terrible door dasher and forever getting out. He did escape the garden a couple times, once managing to get back in the way he left, the other time I kept an eye out and found him outside trying to figure a way back in, but we've since patched up the weak spots and no escapes since then.
None of ours try to get out the front door since they are allowed out the back so that hasn't been a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now