Talk

Advanced search

Please talk to me about litter trays. Do they always rip the liners to shreds?

(22 Posts)
EachandEveryone Fri 19-Aug-16 14:22:31

I have a big fine thing with a kid on it. One little kitten. I'm changing the full thing twice weekly because of the giant bags in it. She rips them to shreds and it kind of loses the point that they are a bag! It's costing me s bomb. My friend was telling me about some expensive contraption which means she only empties once a month and she uses best clumping litter on top of it. I don't get on with the clumping she gets it everywhere but any idea what my friend is talking about? This is the slave with s £1200 cat tree btw so I do t think she's talking wilkos.

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 19-Aug-16 14:26:42

£1200 on a cat tree?shock I love my cat very much but wow!
We have just started using a litter tray for our new cat, and I don't bother with liners. I have a covered tray from Pets at Home, and I use the wood pellet litter. The pellets go to sawdust when wet. TBH i think its a bit gross to leave litter in a tray for several weeks, I scoop out the poop daily and then replace the whole lot every week. Just tip it all into a bin bag, give the tray a wipe with anti bac spray and replace with clean litter.
Nothing fancy in our house!

Willberry Fri 19-Aug-16 14:31:03

Not quite sure I understand. Never used liners with mine, have 2 adult cats and if they are indoors all the time litter lasts 2 weeks before needing changing, if they are going out they prefer to go out doors and litter can last a few months. I use silica crystals as have found they don't smell and arn't dusty. One of my cats loves to shred plastic, paper and card so can't leave bags where they can get to them or they get ripped to shreds. Just empty tray into a bin bag/ carrier bag and wash tray. (I use disinfectant and wash in bath before cleaning bath)

Willberry Fri 19-Aug-16 14:32:05

Obviouly remove solids daily too!

Cherylene Fri 19-Aug-16 14:35:10

The cat that I am cat-sitting for has a piece of cardboard (cereal box?) in the bottom to stop it shredding the liner.

EachandEveryone Fri 19-Aug-16 14:37:46

I remove them at least once a day. I'm new to this I thought everyone used those liners it would be much easier if she didn't rip holes into the I just know my friends cats go in through the top she said the poo clumps so she flushes that down the toilet every day the rest gets changed less frequently. It's a hand made affair from what looks like coconut trees!

Toddlerteaplease Fri 19-Aug-16 14:41:40

Yes! I gave up with them and used puppy pads instead. Gave up with them as they needed changing weekly when the litter it's self only needed changing monthly. Don't bother with anything under the litter now.

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 19-Aug-16 14:48:28

Toddler do you seriously only change the litter monthly? I can't imagine leaving it that long, doesn't it start to smell?

GenghisCalm Fri 19-Aug-16 14:49:53

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Catit-Design-Smartsift-Sifting-Cat/dp/B009B83V76/ref=sr11_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1471614441&sr=8-8&keywords=self+cleaning+cat+litter+box

This is the best litter tray and no need for liners.

EachandEveryone Fri 19-Aug-16 15:59:51

Ha! That looks too complicated for me! What litter do u put in it?

Rainbowrhythms Fri 19-Aug-16 16:01:12

Omg at changing the litter monthly, doesn't it stink? Ours has been a week now and it reeks.

No liners here either

Chickydoo Fri 19-Aug-16 16:10:24

My cats have a fresh change of litter everyday, ( we only keep them in at night) as they would rather use the tray than the garden.
I put an old newspaper at the bottom of the tray, then a bin liner, then an inch or 2 of Tesco's value litter (1.99 a bag) use a bag a week.
I chuck the used litter etc in bin in the morning, and change the lot the next day unless there are no offerings. ( scooping is not for me)

hollinhurst84 Fri 19-Aug-16 16:12:59

I scoop every day but full change of litter maybe once a month

SweetChickadee Fri 19-Aug-16 16:16:34

We scoop 3 times a day ( 2 cats, 2 boxes) and change litter once a week.

I think liners are pointless - they like a good dig about before they drop their bottoms. I can hear ours scratching about in the basement all the way up in the bedroom!

We use bleachy wipes to clean the boxes when we change the litter

RubbishMantra Fri 19-Aug-16 18:18:21

I gave those liners a try once, but they just rip them to pieces. Pointless.

I thoroughly scoop everyday with a metal slotted spoon which is MUCH better than those flimsy plastic ones, and complete litter change once a month. No pooey/ammonia smells. And I have a very sensitive nose. And the tray has a lid, but tbh, even when I take the lid off, I don't get a whiff of ammonia or crap. I use Worlds Best from Zooplus, or Sainsburys/Waitrose extra fine cat litter.

Jackson Galaxy (cat boy) changes his every 6 months, with daily scooping of course). They like the tray to smell of themselves a bit.

RubbishMantra Fri 19-Aug-16 18:38:10

*oh, and I put in enough litter to make it about 4-5" deep, so the wee forms into balls and doesn't turn into a soggy mess at the bottom of the litter box.

hallstars77 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:59:11

Zooplus do some good thick liners, not like the thin Bob Martin/supermarket oneswink

cozietoesie Fri 19-Aug-16 22:12:42

I've not used liners. (Well, I bought a packet recently in a fit of madness but junked them when I realised the cat was sitting there laughing at me!) A seriously good depth of clumpable litter and removing waste when I know it's been soiled - or am informed grin - seems to work best for him.

EachandEveryone Sun 21-Aug-16 13:56:56

I scoop at 6 am and then again when I get home at 9pm. How many poos would you say they do at 12 weeks? She does three massive ones a day!

FuzzyWizard Sun 21-Aug-16 21:25:08

3 sounds about right to me. My cats have always done 2-3 a day.

SaggyNaggy Mon 22-Aug-16 08:28:40

We use a cheap litter tray from pet planet in the kitchen, thinknit was about £12. Tesco wood litter costs £3.75 for 10ltrs and lasts over a week. I scoop solids first thing in the morning last thing at night and give it a good stir with the scoop. No liners, just chuck it all away on a Monday morning, quick wipe down and replace with new litter.

QforCucumber Mon 22-Aug-16 08:32:51

We do like chicky tesco value litter - full change once a day. Only put about 1cm deep into the covered tray. Easiest way to combat smells we have found

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now