Talk

Advanced search

Waiting to meet our new cat!

(26 Posts)
Puffinity Wed 17-Aug-16 16:20:04

We want to adopt a cat from a shelter. We had a home visit from Cats Protection yesterday and left a message last night saying which two cats we'd like to meet (unfortunately they don't want us to have a kitten due to our road being busy). Heard back this morning, they wanted to confirm our details to pass on to the fosterers. And now I'm waiting to hear back. And I'm so bloody impatient! I know the fosterers may well be working at the moment don't see what gives them the right but never mind but still. I want to meet my potential new best friends!!! One is a b/w 3yo female stray who had kittens that have been adopted out, the other is a grey and white, 18 months female who also had kittens (they're still waiting for a home) and from the pic she looks like a kitten herself - petite and mega ears smile. We went and bought a carrier, litter trays, scratch post and bowls yesterday cost more than the cat itself will and I just want the cat now! Pls sympathise!

cozietoesie Wed 17-Aug-16 17:01:46

If they're working, they'll probably be home about 6 and may not phone until gone 7. Patience! grin

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:43:00

I bet they'll be really unreasonable and eat dinner first too.

People are selfish like that grin

Puffinity Wed 17-Aug-16 17:43:30

Never heard of that. What a strange word... grin. Have been entertaining myself making cat toys - have three now and no expectations of them ever being used

Puffinity Wed 17-Aug-16 21:47:49

Fluffy I know, no cat would ever put dinner before duty!!!

No call today sad Going to bed now, have lots of flat pack furniture arriving tomorrow to keep my mind off things (probably for the better that the cat doesn't have to experience all the associated upheaval). Will report back if/ when I've got news!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 17-Aug-16 21:56:31

That's upsetting. I'd want to know yesterday.

Puffinity Thu 18-Aug-16 18:21:04

Me too! I got too impatient and called them and then felt bad for hassling a group of volunteers... Apparently it can take up to 7 days to hear back sad

We're thinking of maybe visiting some shelters this weekend, but then I'd feel bad about CP investing time in us if we got a cat from somewhere else.

cozietoesie Thu 18-Aug-16 18:40:09

Maybe the fosterers are having 'failures' and are going through crises of wanting to keep them? grin

Puffinity Thu 18-Aug-16 19:53:24

Nooooo, don't say that cozie! smile We've actually just heard back from the CP Homing Officer I immediately envisaged a human sized pigeon. Someone is meeting the 18 month girl tmrw, but the 3 yo b/w girl is still available. Should get the contact details for the fosterer tonight! I'm worrying we're rushing into this by not visiting loads of shelters (CP doesn't have many cats that would suit us), but if we like her I suppose it doesn't matter how many other cats we've visited. DH big softie also said we can't have exact ideas about what we want because every cat has a personality. Really hope we like her!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:17:00

If it doesn't work out I have a 7 yo Bengal capable of winning any situation not going his way by reversing up to wee on things, who sounds like a herd of elephants going up stairs unless he's gone stealth and steals ham off the worktops and who will sleep on the bed good as gold for one night (Dh freaked out to wake up to him sitting on my pillow staring at him) but will blot his copy book the second night by waking you at 5:30am by pushing his front paws under the duvet to scratch your foot with 4 razor sharp claws fully extended, then scratch the bottom sheet to make sure you don't go back to sleep.

He's quite often up for adoption. But he's been good today so I like him again.

Puffinity Thu 18-Aug-16 20:50:40

Haha fluffy I talked about Bengals with the lady who did the home visit and I'm not sure they are for us, for precisely the reasons you list smile.

cozietoesie Thu 18-Aug-16 21:26:38

We need my favourite photo, Fluffy. (The toilet paper one.) grin

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 18-Aug-16 21:38:16

That's where I went wrong, it went from talking about them to buying one.

Some people on here have more than one.

cozietoesie Thu 18-Aug-16 21:46:38

Ahhhhhh. smile

Puffinity Fri 19-Aug-16 15:39:57

Owww, his eyes! So cute! I'd probably be less than impressed if our future cat did that, although DH would probably tell it it was very clever to do that!

Have an update: the 3yo cat is currently in the home of someone who adopted her but decided the following day he couldn't keep her, probably because he was still grieving for his previous cat. Because all the CP foster homes are full, he agreed to look after her until they find someone to take her. This story has made me really sad for some reason, and has convinced me we should take her (assuming we get on). Hopefully we'll be able to meet her this weekend and then do the paperwork and take her home on Monday! Fingers crossed! She can't stay where she is now, that's not good for anyone!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 20-Aug-16 07:13:50

Can you see her today?.

Puffinity Sun 21-Aug-16 23:09:00

Hi! Sadly nothing happened over the weekend apart from me attempting and failing to knit a cat rug.... The woman from CP said she was free tomorrow, so fingers crossed we will be able to work something out. It's going to be difficult to find a time that works for everyone. I am hoping we'll be able to meet the cat without the CP woman there if she can't make it, and then do the paperwork at a time that works for her. Worried that might not be until next weekend though... Will keep you posted!

cozietoesie Sun 21-Aug-16 23:18:19

I reckon he's decided he wants her after all.

Puffinity Mon 22-Aug-16 14:54:44

Been in touch with CP again (they texted me) and now waiting to hear if we can meet her tonight! Fingers crossed!

Puffinity Mon 22-Aug-16 22:50:42

cozie you were wrong! Meet Cindy!

Jenda Mon 22-Aug-16 23:57:50

She's beautiful!

cozietoesie Tue 23-Aug-16 00:05:03

Gorgeous. smile And quite a determined character I think?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 23-Aug-16 06:35:16

Oh she's got a black nose! She must be so confused with all this rehoming. Love her.

Puffinity Tue 23-Aug-16 08:24:00

She's perfect! And yes, quite determined/ brave! She's quite small and dinky (almost kitten-ish, though she's 3) and very friendly - she let me pick her up with no bother! She hasn't hidden at all since getting here. She's just been exploring and following us around (and walking all over us, quite literally!). She also seems to like staring out of the window - it'll be a while before she's allowed out though. I'm in love smile!

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 23-Aug-16 15:01:47

Congratulations! So pleased its worked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now