Talk

Advanced search

How much dry food for my 12 week old?

(15 Posts)
EachandEveryone Sun 14-Aug-16 17:59:23

Shes not a fan. I put out a small hand full a day and she only eats it if desparate. Should i be enouraging it by hiding in her food? My friends both have her siblings and they wont touch wet at all. Should they be mixing?

orangebird69 Sun 14-Aug-16 18:03:59

All my kittens (I rescued as well as had lots as pets) had wet food 4 times a day and a bowl of biscuits down all day to graze from.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-Aug-16 18:53:29

It's too hard for young teeth and jaws. Wets much better.

Ours used to give me the wtf look too until I realised.

orangebird69 Sun 14-Aug-16 19:03:20

Something like RC Kitten is not too hard at all. I'm assuming you've never been bitten by a young kitten then Fluffy shock

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-Aug-16 19:15:33

I have a Bengal. I can assure you I've been thoroughly savaged over the past 7 years & have a noticeable keloid scar from him too 😹

He still didn't like dry kibble, I think it was purina I was trying to get him to eat.

In the end I decided trying to get him to like dry was like trying to wean a baby on organic humorous and avocado & put him on wet food.

EachandEveryone Sun 14-Aug-16 21:01:55

Yes it's all new to me I work long shifts so the dry will be back up. I've got a massive bag from the vets it's going to take months to get through! The wet is expensive I'll try and buy it in bulk. I'm going to try and get grain free as I don't think she'll be going out too often as I live in a flat. That's another bridge to cross when it comes.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-Aug-16 21:09:09

Aldi premium pouches ate cereal free, as is butchers classic.

The important thing is that she eats, because she's growing really fast right now.

I was scared to head towards the kitchen when asbo was a kitten. Constant miaows of "bowls empty'. I literally chucked food at him.

BluishSky Tue 16-Aug-16 15:53:24

None...

Butcher's is the best cheap wet food. Otherwise look at Zooplus/ Happy Kitty Company. It's seems more expensive, but they eat less of the better quality stuff.

EachandEveryone Tue 16-Aug-16 22:26:49

Ive ordered off zooplus James Beloved? Something like that. Lots of them dont do kitten versions. Itvwould be handy to just add it to my supermarjet shop as i dont drive.

BluishSky Wed 17-Aug-16 23:04:55

In your case, I would definitely be looking at Butcher's Classic/ meaty or fish. It's about £2.76 for 6 cans or £5 for 12 (I think). Then go from there.

EachandEveryone Wed 17-Aug-16 23:11:34

I don't think they do kitten food. When can they actually start eating the next stage?

BluishSky Sat 20-Aug-16 16:24:03

TBH, I'm not sure - we went more or less straight to adult for, but my cat was nearly a year old when we got her...

EachandEveryone Sun 21-Aug-16 14:54:45

We are going away this weekend I feel awful leaving her. I would really like her to some dry food. She might well be taking it when I'm not looking I guess.

NeedACleverNN Sun 21-Aug-16 14:56:57

We have dry biscuits down all day.

She will only eat the mother and baby Royal canin biscuits though. Teeny tiny kibble. Anything bigger and she turns her nose up

EachandEveryone Sun 21-Aug-16 15:36:53

It's the mother and baby she came to me with. A massive bag which I'm only a quarter through. She won't eat dreamies either. She likes a ton of turkey hearts. I've tried hiding them in the food but she's not daft.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now