New Kitty

(24 Posts)
FuzzyWizard Sat 13-Aug-16 16:32:40

I promised pictures. Brought this lovely lady home from a rescue today. She is such a sweet natured thing. I luffs her already. She had a little accident (poo and wee) in the carrier and cried the whole way home but apart from protesting a bit about me sponging her down when we got in she's settled pretty much straight away (I think she's a bit high on catnip though).

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Aug-16 16:40:13

She looks like a sweetheart. And if she's not hiding under furniture you're off to a very good start.

How old is she? She looks young. What do you know of her background?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Aug-16 16:45:19

She's gorgeous. Well done for getting a rescue cat.

FuzzyWizard Sat 13-Aug-16 17:03:51

She's 2 and a half but had kittens very young. She's quite dinky for a Maine coon of that age. I think she's probably a cross-breed of some description but with quite a bit of Maine coon in there. Her previous owners rehomed her because they only wanted to keep the younger cats. She's a super sweetheart. I thought she'd be hiding down the back of the sofa but she's curled up on it right next to me purring and snoozing.

FuzzyWizard Sat 13-Aug-16 17:05:51

Look at those toe floofs

BagelGoesWalking Sat 13-Aug-16 17:07:01

She's absolutely gorgeous! Very envy

PolterGoose Sat 13-Aug-16 17:13:22

She's gorgeous, and settled quickly, how lovely smile

FuzzyWizard Sat 13-Aug-16 17:17:14

I've now been kneaded and say on. So honoured! I think she likes it here. smile

FuzzyWizard Sat 13-Aug-16 17:17:28

*Sat on

StrangeLookingParasite Sat 13-Aug-16 19:04:22

Toe floofs! Awww! She's gorgeous.

cozietoesie Sat 13-Aug-16 19:28:12

She's a quite lovely girl. smile ( And I wouldn't worry overmuch about any cat having trouble in a carrier, especially the first time of use. Hopefully, she'll use her tray just fine.)

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Aug-16 19:42:41

You know they love you when they knead you. Ours came out if his carrier slow blinking at me and ignoring Dh.

She is super gorgeous.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 13-Aug-16 21:09:03

She's gorgeous. Does she have a name yet? Toe floofs, what a brilliant phrase!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Aug-16 21:14:23

She's had a home before so she knows the drill. Her previous owners sound horrid.

FuzzyWizard Sun 14-Aug-16 11:42:07

She's called Cerys. After spending just one day with her I can't understand how anyone could bear to part with her. I wasn't worried about the accident in the carrier, apart from the fact that she was clearly uncomfortable being stuck in there with the mess. She's ok with the litter box so far although we have been warned that she sometimes has some aiming issues and poos over the edge of the box so we've put some paper down just in case. Apparently in her old home they didn't have a box and she just went outside but she obviously needs to be kept in for a while yet so hopefully she'll get the hang of the box as she wasn't in the shelter for long.

cozietoesie Sun 14-Aug-16 13:58:21

Her previous owners don't sound much cop, to be honest.

I'd keep the tray there if you have a halfway reasonable place to put it. It's useful if they're caught short during nighttime curfew and I recall that The Lodger actually came to prefer to do his duty inside, forbye he'd largely brought himself up on the streets. I didn't mind cleaning it at all and it sure beats having arguments with neighbours over poo in the rose beds. It's also useful for keeping a weather eye on their inner workings and for any times of illness/travelling or really bad weather.

She's such a lovely girl. smile

FuzzyWizard Sun 14-Aug-16 14:40:19

I'll definitely keep the tray. I don't mind cleaning it out and I think she should have somewhere clean, warm and dry to do her business if she'd rather stay indoors. Growing up with my parents we had indoors only cats right up until I moved out in my 20s so I'm used to dealing with litter trays anyway.

YesItsMeIDontCare Sun 14-Aug-16 14:45:04

Toe floofs!!! She's beautiful OP. She clearly knows she's found her forever people. 😸

cozietoesie Sun 14-Aug-16 16:16:43

I suspect you'll have to become an expert on brushing. She's gorgeous but real fluffy.

God luck with her. smile

FuzzyWizard Mon 15-Aug-16 19:25:29

So we've been gradually introducing her to new rooms one at a time. Today we let her into the living room. We turned our backs for two seconds and she disappeared. We shrugged and assumed she'd gone back to her room. A couple of minutes later she emerged from the chimney covered in soot. She had to be showered.

cozietoesie Mon 15-Aug-16 20:00:48

Firstcat went up a working chimney as a very young - and very pale - Siamese and went to sleep on the soot shelf. The only time we've had to actually bathe a cat and I carry the mental scars still.

Anyone reading with a working chimney - block access to it! grin

FuzzyWizard Mon 15-Aug-16 20:05:37

We're going to block the chimney and keep her out of the living room in the meantime. Luckily she seems to like water, she was quite happy to be showered, but she didn't want to be dried (no towel, no hairdryer). She's now decided that she wants nothing so much as to sit on my lap all damp hmm grin

cozietoesie Mon 15-Aug-16 20:10:38

They seem to have a healthy respect for actual fires but obviously, you'd have a guard on the fire if you weren't in the room. Good luck with her. (All that fur dripping! Goodness. )

FuzzyWizard Mon 15-Aug-16 20:16:56

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now