Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me all the reasons why I shouldn't get...

(29 Posts)
PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Wed 10-Aug-16 12:34:57

another cat.

We have 2. PaintedBoy, an Oriental, 12 months old who has declared undying love for DS2 and has no time for the rest of us. I do love him dearly though. PaintedGirl is a little tabby who was dumped and we took in. She needed some vet care initially but is now very healthy and very beautiful. She's roughly the same age. She is so sweet. We are given 10 mins of love every morning and that's it for the day. They adore each other.

I'd love them to come sit on my lap but it just doesn't happen.

Tell me all the reasons why I absolutely must not phone the breeder back about the awaited litter of beautiful Siamese kittens. My SiameseBoy loved me and I miss him.

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Wed 10-Aug-16 21:09:41

Looks like I'll be making the call then.

Liara Wed 10-Aug-16 21:12:06

I have two cats and have just rescued another kitten and she is absolutely lovely!

It's only been two years since we got cat 2 but I had forgotten how much fun a kitten is.

I would say go for it.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Wed 10-Aug-16 21:13:05

3 it's the magic number

PepsiPenguins Wed 10-Aug-16 21:13:41

grin good choice

Longdistance Wed 10-Aug-16 21:14:12

You can't start a thread about cats without pictures 🐱

PepsiPenguins Wed 10-Aug-16 21:16:56

Kittens are fun smile

PTC (precious third cat) is awesome, I thought three would be crazy ok she is but really is such a lovely little thing

We had some issues between PFC and PTC both girls. PSC who is a boy, was very much "whatever" who are you, ok long as you don't go in my box your all right.

Feliaway, lots of love (PFC is 10) and now they really like each other

PepsiPenguins Wed 10-Aug-16 21:17:58

longdistance I stalk the Guinea pig pages for pictures

YeOldeTrout Wed 10-Aug-16 21:26:18

I don't approve of cats obtained by paying money to breeders, if you really want a reason! But it's a free country & your call.

ALemonyPea Wed 10-Aug-16 21:27:33

You can never have enough cats.

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Thu 11-Aug-16 08:54:38

Yaygrin

LemonRedwood Thu 11-Aug-16 11:53:01

3 would be great, but 4 would be better wink

Potentialmadcatlady Thu 11-Aug-16 12:16:10

Not all breeder are evil and do it for the money Trout.... I foster/rescue all my animals,generally sick or damaged ones that no none else wants..my new kitten is a pedigree one that I am getting to help my other foster ones..it has been specially chosen so it can help them learn how to be social/human orientated and it is a type that is only sold to multi animal homes because of its nature...the 'breeder' has done a lot of rescue work over the years and actively helps into research into a particular heart condition that I also support...sometimes the sadness that comes along with rescuing needs to be tempered with a bit of happiness for those of us that help rescues as much as we can...

WannaBe Thu 11-Aug-16 12:22:55

I really want a Siamese. But they never come up for rescue, which in itself is a good thing, but means that if I want one I would need to go to a breeder.

Potentialmadcatlady Thu 11-Aug-16 12:43:52

I was actually asked to take on a Siamese rescue over the summer but she was very bonded with her 'moggie' sister and they couldn't be split up..I didn't think it was fair for my other rescues to have a fully bonded pair added to the mix so reluctantly said I couldn't..( how I wish I had money and a massive house in the country- one day when I win the lottery- that I don't do!)
The kitten I'm getting is a breed that I really wanted and doesn't come up for rescue either..the idea is that she will be with us for many years and will be my 'stable' cat exile the fosters come and go into the house..her breed loves company and other animals and I choose her out of litter ( well she choose me) because she seems like the most outgoing people orientated one...
I did have some guilt about 'buying' a kitten but as I said sometimes the sadness of rescues takes its toll and we have to think about ourselves so we can look after the rescues effectively..

Potentialmadcatlady Thu 11-Aug-16 12:48:00

While not exile!

cozietoesie Thu 11-Aug-16 13:24:37

They do come up for rescue actually, Wanna, just maybe not as frequently as other cats. (Owners die/move abroad and some Siamese are not suited to living with other cats so need to be rehomed etc etc.) The only thing is that, I suspect, the breed rescues would not be keen on sending a rescue Siamese to a new owner who was inexperienced in the breed and might not be able to cope with one who had the overlay of eg loss or illness. Have you had Siamese before?

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Thu 11-Aug-16 13:41:10

I've got almost 4 months to wait, I'll have my little kitten at Christmas time. Should I get a boy or a girl? I'm thinking chocolate point girl ( I don't want neurotic PaintedBoy throwing a strop, PaintedGirl is very easy going). Breeder has had Havana kittens in the past, I really will struggle if there are any in this litter.

notamummy10 Thu 11-Aug-16 23:58:18

We're looking at getting another cat... The stray that stays in our garden all the time, we are ninety nine percent sure he's a stray as he still has his balls and he's ended up on a local spotted site a few times!

He's a beautiful ginger tom and if we are to have him, he will be our third ginger tom! One of our ginger babies had to be pts last year due to FIP and our other is still going strong, he's nearly 13!

cozietoesie Fri 12-Aug-16 00:10:14

It sounds as if you've been adopted then? smile

BluishSky Fri 12-Aug-16 09:53:01

I would take him to e bet to get him checked for a chip first. (Doubtful if he's not neutered, but just in case).

CatchIt Fri 12-Aug-16 10:06:20

Uuummmm....

Nope, sorry can't think of a single reason.

V jealous of your cats, I'm desperate for one or 3.

RubbishMantra Fri 12-Aug-16 21:21:19

You're talking about taking on a Devon baby aren't you, Potential? I think I recall your other threads.

My neurotic B&W mog has come right out of his shell, and "mothers" him, and seems happier and more content.

He's an absolute joy, and helped me through a pretty hideous time of my life. Like you, I chose him because of his need for other animal company, and not a day goes by when he doesn't make me laff, especially when he teeth chatters at the birds, or sings to the flies.

Enjoy your little alien/monkey cat! smile

(There must be photographs when you bring the little nutter home)

Potentialmadcatlady Fri 12-Aug-16 22:59:38

Yes RubbishMantra..Devon girl will be in here in a few weeks when she's ready...hopefully my neurotic b&w will accept her..the b&w tux I don't think will have a problem-very chilled that one....

Life here is totally shit at min..one thing after another after another..I just can't cope with any more sadness at min so I'm treating me and the kids to a cat we have chosen..I'm hoping she will give us all a lift and a focus and that she will be with us for a very long time ( the other two aren't likely to be)... I will foster/rescue more cats in future but just for now I need to be a little selfish and put kids and me first..

RubbishMantra Fri 12-Aug-16 23:44:44

I''m sorry life is shit for you at the moment, Potential.

B&W neurotic disliked anything except ddDH and I. He hated Little M (my Devon) for a few weeks, then just sort of submitted to his consistent friendship overtures. Like you, I carefully researched breeds that love people and other animals.

You're not being selfish at all - pedigree kittens need homes too. My little lad (2 years old) has helped MCat and me through a lot of sadness through the past year. He pats me on the knee or shoulder if I'm sad.

Right now he's being bloody annoying, and pinging the door stop springy thing. And pulling out his cat carrier. He's a bit of a twat, but he's my twat, and I love him to the moon and back, infinitely.

PM me if you like? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now