Stray or RSPCA adoption?

(10 Posts)
Jetcatisback Tue 09-Aug-16 18:37:05

Hi all, I am hoping for some advice. We (DDs and I) have been after a cat for a while now, and after visiting our local re homing centre we fell in love with a 2 year old boy cat - but as we were going away we couldn't start application process till we returned. So no guarantee that he will either be still there (he's been there months though, he's the longest resident sad ) or that we will be approved to have him.

But now we are staying with family who have already taken one stray in, and there is a tiny black cat who is also stray but can't live with existing stray. Family are saying we should take this cat instead of RSPCA one.

I'm torn though, I don't know anything about this stray, don't even know if it's boy or girl (that wouldn't matter really) or health status, which obviously would matter. My youngest DD is distraught at the idea of leaving this stray on the streets, but as first time cat owners, I'm leaning towards the security of knowing what we would be bringing in to our home.

Any advice please?flowers

Wolfiefan Tue 09-Aug-16 18:38:58

How do you know the cat is a stray?

bramblesandblackberries Tue 09-Aug-16 18:39:25

My kitty heart says you can't leave the boy cat OR the stray.

You know the only thing to do is have both, right? wink

Jetcatisback Tue 09-Aug-16 18:42:43

Wolfie, I don't for definite I guess, just going on what I've been told. I need to consider that though thanks.

Brambles, RSPCA cat needs to be an only cat smile

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:18:10

I'd take the stray, if he is looking ropy.

Put a paper collar on him asking if this is your cat with your mobile number.

I'd ring if my cat came in with a paper collar on.

MidnightVelvettheSixth Tue 09-Aug-16 19:26:19

Well there's no guarantee that the little one is stray.

I'm a huge believer of cat rescues (not the RSPCA though) I use Cats Protection & I like the confirmation that the rescue cat has been neutered, vet checked & de-flead/wormed before they come to live with me. Plus last time I adopted a cat I had small children & the rescue centre were able to say yes or no about whether the cat would be happy with small children/a dog/other cats/indoor or outdoor cat. I suppose its less of a gamble that you or the cat will be unhappy.

Have a quick google of Cats Protection in your area OP, there will pictures of the cats available & they will do a home visit but its basically to make sure you're fairly normal & your garden doesn't back onto a motorway smile

MidnightVelvettheSixth Tue 09-Aug-16 19:26:29

Well there's no guarantee that the little one is stray.

I'm a huge believer of cat rescues (not the RSPCA though) I use Cats Protection & I like the confirmation that the rescue cat has been neutered, vet checked & de-flead/wormed before they come to live with me. Plus last time I adopted a cat I had small children & the rescue centre were able to say yes or no about whether the cat would be happy with small children/a dog/other cats/indoor or outdoor cat. I suppose its less of a gamble that you or the cat will be unhappy.

Have a quick google of Cats Protection in your area OP, there will pictures of the cats available & they will do a home visit but its basically to make sure you're fairly normal & your garden doesn't back onto a motorway smile

Toddlerteaplease Wed 10-Aug-16 12:06:33

Were you the poster who was going to adopt Arnie? I'd go with him. He's been there longer!

timtam23 Thu 11-Aug-16 21:44:36

Oh I would be torn. I don't think I could walk away from the stray (current cat came to us as a tiny stray kitten as did my old boycat). But that's not much help to you - have you decided what to do?

Jetcatisback Thu 11-Aug-16 21:54:03

Not me Toddler smile

I'm sticking with rescue cat, much as it is breaking DD2's heart. I have no proof that little black cat is a stray, we are a five hour drive from home and am then out all day for the next 2 days so I don't think it would be fair on the little one. Plus, as money is tight I'm worried that by taking on an entirely unknown entity, I'm leaving myself open to potential huge vet bills. At least with rescue cat I know it's been checked etc and will get it insured asap.

Thanks for your advice flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now