Talk

Advanced search

My sister thinks her cat is pregnant

(12 Posts)
longdiling Sun 07-Aug-16 22:09:11

She's been letting her outside before getting her neutered...the cat now has a slightly swollen tummy and enlarged teats. She's going to take her to the vet to find out for sure. I am of course, shaking my head at her irresponsible cat ownership while secretly hoping she is actually pregnant so I can take a kitten off her hands. If she isn't pregnant she will be getting her neutered btw - she does realise she's fucked up.

Will her cat be ok though do you think? What extra care might she need?

cozietoesie Sun 07-Aug-16 23:07:30

Is she young/ hasn't had a litter before?

longdiling Sun 07-Aug-16 23:32:44

She is about 7 or 8 months and small, it would be her first (and only I'm sure!) litter.

gamerchick Sun 07-Aug-16 23:34:46

Maybe it's not too late in the pregnancy to get her neutered now? I'm not hopeful though.

JenLindley Sun 07-Aug-16 23:34:49

Well tut tut longsister wink but squeeee for kittens! grin I say 3 kittens. What colour is (potential) mum?

longdiling Sun 07-Aug-16 23:41:29

Grey and white. I am tutting and squeeing too.

JenLindley Sun 07-Aug-16 23:45:33

Ooh grey!! Beautiful.

TroysMammy Mon 08-Aug-16 06:29:59

I hope your sister lives near Swansea as I will be needing a kitten from October. smile

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Aug-16 06:48:21

If it's not too late the vet might abort. She's barely an adult and going to give birth.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 08-Aug-16 06:58:47

If she's letting an unneutered cat out at that age she could very well be pregnant and she could be quite far gone (I don't know how long cat pregnancies are but as we are well into the 'kitten season' it is easily possible the cat got pregnant a couple of months ago - spaying is normally done at 4 months).

I know she knows she's fucked up (your sister, not your cat, obviously) but it's worth saying again that there is no need to let your cat get pregnant to go squeeeee at kittens.

Just contact any cat rescue charity large and small and they are over-run with kittens, they have far more than people wanting them. If you want kittens, please adopt some from a charity.

Many charities also want fosterers (I am one). We look after kittens in our homes from being rescued to them being rehomed - I currently have 4 and am squeeeeeing at kittens every minute I am at home due to people not neutering their pets or looking after them properly.

longdiling Mon 08-Aug-16 08:29:12

Oh I totally agree Barbara, I have only ever had cats from rescues. I would love to foster but I childmind and I'm not sure the two would mix, the squeeeing might turn into squeezing with toddlers around. Cat pregnancy is only about 8 weeks so she's going to get to the vet sooner rather than later.

susurration Wed 10-Aug-16 09:55:47

If the cat is already 8 weeks pregnant she's probably due to give birth within the next 7-10 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now