Talk

Advanced search

please say there's hope :(

(22 Posts)
zatoichi Fri 05-Aug-16 21:13:43

I've nc cos iposted a lot of personal details and this will out me to people I may know so temp nc.
My cats between 15 and 20 age got him from Edinburgh dog cat home that's why unsure of age had him 4 yrs now.
About 6 months ago he was diagnosed as having kidney disease and put on kd and meds. They was an improvement but for the last week he's been sleeping more mainly on my dd bed which is strange for him he's also turned from a run away at the slightest noise to won't even look cat. His eating down so much he hadn't had anything today apart from half the water in his bowls to matter what I buy including treats he won't eat . His toilet habits are a very small poo once a day and very little wee but he's being eating litter as it's been in his sick . He's being sick once a day it's very formy with litter or food . sad

cozietoesie Fri 05-Aug-16 21:20:58

He's an old lad now, zato. I'm afraid that dodgy kidneys - and that behaviour - at his age ain't so good.

Have you tried him on cold roast chicken? ( The moist stuff from a supermarket is often best.)

zatoichi Fri 05-Aug-16 21:29:02

Thanks I know sad I wanted an older cat as less likely to be rehomed but didn't think about less time am calling vets tomorrow and see if there's anything they can do

cozietoesie Fri 05-Aug-16 21:45:33

Acquiring a young cat is, I'm afraid, no guarantee that you'll have them with you for a long time. There are posters on here who have, sadly, lost young 'uns. (My own Oneago seemed in rude health at 8 and then dropped dead one morning.)

Conversely, my current old boy came to live with me at 14 and has managed to achieve 7 years of indulgence! (He wasn't expected to make 15 so was given the 5 star treatment.) I'd still go for an older cat if possible, I think.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 05-Aug-16 22:15:33

It's not about what they give us, it's about what we give them. You've had him for four years and catered to every whim.

What does the vet say?

isamonster Fri 05-Aug-16 22:38:07

i'd suggest warming his food a tiny bit if he has sachets. He may need to be rehydrated but the business with eating litter worries me a lot. Good luck tomorrow. i know just how hard it is and sometimes you have to make hard choices.Love to him and you.

zatoichi Fri 05-Aug-16 22:42:04

The vet says looks like his kidneys are failing (not face to face) . When I got him I was in a dark place he helped my pain and suffering and on Monday am going to help his. am going get him an appointment for tomorrow to get him seen and hopefully some injections to help for the short-term so we can give him a happy last day but if not I think the best thing will be o get it done tomorrow. Does that sound OK?

zatoichi Fri 05-Aug-16 22:43:03

Think I've been selfish

isamonster Fri 05-Aug-16 22:46:54

I think you should see how you feel and what they say in the morning. Don't overthink it. You need to remember you've given him hundreds of happy days. If he's really suffering I'm sure you'll know what to do. I'm sorry! This is so so hard. Be kind to yourselves and him.

cozietoesie Fri 05-Aug-16 23:12:28

Why should you think you've been selfish? It doesn't sound like it to me.

zatoichi Sat 06-Aug-16 00:28:33

Thanks. am selfish for not calling them today.

pensivepolly Sat 06-Aug-16 00:32:40

You werent being selfish, you were being prudent and cautious while also hoping things would take a turn for the better. I'm very sorry, as I know how painful this is. No matter what you decide tomorrow, you have given your precious kitty a much happier last few years than he would ever have had otherwise and that is the important thing. He knows you love him.

isamonster Sat 06-Aug-16 01:47:31

Not selfish - just hoping for the best while taking time to acknowledge the worst. It is always a shock even if you know what the ending will be. Be gentle on yourself.

zatoichi Sat 06-Aug-16 13:36:09

Got him seen today the vet said he had lost a lot of weight and he's dehydrated with severe anmima sp? He's had two injections today. She said they will elther work well or not work at all and to try him with tuna and oil or anything he will eat . He's being reviewed on Tues but if u gets worse to take him sooner. She said days or wks left . Me and dh had a talk and we are thinking that even if he improves with the injections to pts on Tues as prolong it is unfair on him and he will eventually got down hill again and it's better then a quick dash to the vets this way we can spend lots of time with him feeding him everything he's being banned from the last 6 months

cozietoesie Sat 06-Aug-16 13:53:05

My Darling Twoago had severe kidney problems so I know what it's like - which is very hard. I'd let him have anything he wants as long as it's not actively bad for him.

None of you sound selfish to me.

Take care.

isamonster Sat 06-Aug-16 22:34:38

Take care and enjoy spoiling him.

isamonster Tue 09-Aug-16 12:18:34

How are things going?

zatoichi Thu 11-Aug-16 18:56:51

Sorry he was pts on Monday been a pretty shit weeksad

chemenger Thu 11-Aug-16 19:22:07

So similar to what we have just been through with little boy, but in his case it was a heart condition. It's no easier just because you knew it was coming. You have done your best for him, try to focus on the good times, not his last week. I'm so sorry for your loss.

cozietoesie Thu 11-Aug-16 20:25:49

I'm very sorry.

timtam23 Thu 11-Aug-16 21:28:57

So sorry zatoichi flowers

isamonster Thu 11-Aug-16 22:50:27

Sorry to hear that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now