Talk

Advanced search

My poor lovely cat Coco isn't very well - I'm so worried :((

(39 Posts)
Lottielou7 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:15:00

She's only one year old and is a ragdoll.

Yesterday she was absolutely fine, eating, running around with her friend, coming straight to the door when we arrived home, running to the sound of food.

Today she has spent the whole day dragging herself aroun, not eating at all , hiding from us and just sort of sits in front of her water dish but can't bring herself to drink sad. So I took her straight to the vet who said she can't find anything obvious wrong, it might be an infection and have her antibiotics and critical care food. She said if she's not eaten by to,or row she needs to be admitted for drip feeding and run tests to see if it's her kidneys. I've just held her like a baby and syringes water into her mouth.

I'm so worried & she's so young sad( does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing.

RubbishMantra Thu 04-Aug-16 21:42:20

Oh, that must be awful for the both of you.

You're doing good to keep her hydrated, did the vet show you how to do it? If they didn't, there's a gap between the molars and incisors - don't just squirt the water down her throat.

Could you make up some broth from boiled chicken to get some calories plus liquid into her?

Does she go outside - people get pesticide happy this time of year.

Check out the plants in the house/garden. There's a shockingly long list of plants poisonous to cats.

Hope she'll be OK flowers

Lottielou7 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:52:28

We don't really have plants. I know lilies are poisonous for cats. They are house cats but recently we've let them have a run around in our garden only because it's so hot. She hasn't been out of our garden at all and she tends not to nibble at random things (like our other cat!) she is very fussy and generally will only eat dry food (Applaws) with the occasional wet.

One problem we have is that they will not use separate litter trays - they want to use the same one so I don't know if that has caused an infection or something. Yes I found the gap in her teeth and just give her a little at a time. She's such a lovely cat I hope she is ok.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:53:01

No but they bounce back really quickly.

Lottielou7 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:53:58

Here she is

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 04-Aug-16 22:00:23

She's gorgeous. I hope she's on the mend soon

RubbishMantra Thu 04-Aug-16 22:07:12

She's beautiful. smile

You don't have lilies in your garden do you? Just brushing up against them, then licking off the pollen causes poisoning.

I hope that she'll be fine, sure she will be. Just keep your vet informed of how she;s doing?

SalemsLott Thu 04-Aug-16 22:10:22

smile she's absolutely gorgeous. Sending you all the best for her speedy recovery.

Lottielou7 Fri 05-Aug-16 04:13:29

No, we don't have any lilies. I have no idea what's happened but I'm worried it's her kidneys. I have just taken her to the out of hours vets because I'm so worried - she seems worse, laboured breathing and won't touch any food. She's also still vomiting. The vet Has just called me to say she's very dehydrated and that they've done an X Ray which seems to suggest that she may have ingested something she shouldn't have. So they've started her on a drip and in the morning I have to take her to her usual vet where she'll continue her treatment. I feel better knowing that she's in the best place rather than seeing her sitting at the end of my bed looking so miserable.

WalrusGumboot Fri 05-Aug-16 05:39:32

You've done the right thing. Glad they've got her on a drip now.

Hand holding.

Lottielou7 Fri 05-Aug-16 09:59:03

She's still in the hospital but I'm absolutely gutted because they are worried she might have FIP because her temperature has gone up and she squeaked a bit when they examined her tummy this morning.

There's just nothing we can do - it's awful sadsad

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 05-Aug-16 10:57:44

Sending positive thoughts and a hand to hold flowers

cozietoesie Fri 05-Aug-16 11:40:02

When are you to be given the next report on her ?

isamonster Fri 05-Aug-16 11:46:03

Sending you and Coco lots of love and positive vibes.

maybeIwillmaybeIwont Fri 05-Aug-16 12:51:28

Thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts flowers

picklesanne Fri 05-Aug-16 18:08:06

How is Coco doing?

Lottielou7 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:01:15

Thank you for your kind words guys. The vet phoned me at lunchtime to say they have done further tests and X Ray's and her liver and kidney function seem to be ok. She's much more hydrated from the drip.

The main thing they are concerned about is that her stomach looks bigger than it should as if it can't empty properly. So the vet thinks maybe surgery will be needed tomorrow to see whether she has eaten something she shouldn't. She does often try to eat random weird stuff like bits of cellophane etc. And once I had to pull a load of cotton out of her mouth - there were reams of it. So I'm really hoping and praying that this is something fixable.

cozietoesie Fri 05-Aug-16 20:14:52

Let us know how she gets on?

Lots of luck to her.

RubbishMantra Fri 05-Aug-16 20:30:03

Hope your little lass is OK.

Lottielou7 Fri 05-Aug-16 21:05:30

Thank you I will. She's in the best place and I took her to the vet as soon as I knew she was ill. So I've done what I can and I just have to pray she will be ok. She's such a lovely, sweet natured cat.

anoldiebutagoody Fri 05-Aug-16 21:05:33

Glad to hear Coco responded well to the drip, I know what you're going through we're trying to figure out whether my 9mth old boy has FIP.
Have they a Coronavirus titre level check (blood test) on Coco ?
Sending lots of positive vibes that you'll have good news soon.

isamonster Fri 05-Aug-16 22:41:34

Thinking of coco and you. Been through FIP twice. Heartbreaking. let's hope it isn't that. As you say, they can eat silly things and get clogged up. Take care.

Lottielou7 Sat 06-Aug-16 13:45:14

Isamonster - how awful. I can't imagine how you coped with that sad(

Well I have good news about Coco. It turned out that she had eaten a load of pink cotton thread and it got stuck in her throat. The vet thought they might have to operate if it had gone down as far as her intestines but it hadn't and he managed to pull it out.

He thinks she'll recover now and should be able to come home tomorrow. I'm so very relieved!

cozietoesie Sat 06-Aug-16 13:57:05

Well that's good news. Thank your lucky stars that it wasn't threaded on a needle.

Good luck to her for her recovery. smile

WalrusGumboot Sat 06-Aug-16 14:00:45

What a relief! So pleased it's good news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now