Talk

Advanced search

Do you think that cats can be left/right handed (pawed)?

(8 Posts)
CharleyDavidson Sun 31-Jul-16 19:26:08

I'm sure ours is left-pawed! Our previous cat had no problems opening a door if it was slightly ajar. He'd put his right paw out and hook the door and give it a pull until it was wide enough to get his head in the gap.

Our new cat is stumped by the same situation. Instead of using his right paw to open the gap, everytime he lifts his left paw. Which has zero leverage on our doors which open to the left. And then he gives up and claws at the carpet instead! I've even lifted his right paw for him to show him what to do and he still doesn't get it.

He's either
a) left pawed or
b) stoopid!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 31-Jul-16 19:28:06

Yes ours is left pawed.

cozietoesie Sun 31-Jul-16 19:42:05

Yes. Seniorboy is right pawed.

Lillagroda Sun 31-Jul-16 19:44:57

Yep. Have one of each, and doors that open to the left too. One can open them, the other can't. I find it far more entertaining to watch than I should, really.

cozietoesie Sun 31-Jul-16 20:20:31

Thinking about it, The Lodger uses both when he's hunting - from what I've seen - but the left paw is used more for pinning down. It's the right paw that does the main work. He probably veers to right pawed therefore.

BorpBorpBorp Mon 01-Aug-16 11:55:55

Yes. BorpCat2's nose fur sweeps to the left because he always uses his right paw to wash his face.

RubbishMantra Mon 01-Aug-16 15:01:07

MCat's definitely ambi-dexterous. I know that, because he'll lull you into a false sense of security, then quickly swipe with both paws, on either hand, followed up by a swift snake-strike on each hand.

Little M...not so sure. I think he favours his right hand though. (just tried a little experiment, and Little M goes for the 2 pawed juggling technique.)

I suppose for cats (hunters) it's more necessary for them to be ambi-dexterous?

YesItsMeIDontCare Mon 01-Aug-16 15:03:47

Leroy just expects me to do it for him.

I know my place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now