why is my cat thin?

(8 Posts)
WaffleOverload Wed 27-Jul-16 21:28:17

She's a 2 year old tabby who is outdoors a lot. At least half of her life is spent outside and more so at the moment with the warm weather

She's suddenly quite noticeably thin and 'hunchy.' Eating and drinking normally - she has a high quality dried food and the odd pouch a day. Worming up to date and coincidentally she's going to the vets on Friday as they wont prescribe me flea treatment again without seeing her

I'll ask the vet but is this a normal thing? I wouldn't describe her as high energy particularly

KatharinaRosalie Wed 27-Jul-16 21:31:51

hyperthyroidism is quite common in cats, could be that

sonlypuppyfat Wed 27-Jul-16 21:38:38

This is exactly like my cat he's out all summer and always goes skinny, in the cooler months he stays in home and gets all chubby and fluffy

Missgraeme Wed 27-Jul-16 21:47:05

We have 2 cats who started out the same size (brothers) one got to 4 and buffed up and one is skinny. Prob like a size 8 and a size 14!! Maybe yours is just a size 8cat??

PlanD Wed 27-Jul-16 21:51:27

I have a skinny girl cat. She's nearly 2. She is fussy with food and troughs food she likes then goes off it (long before the bag is finished- also high quality dried) and stops eating as well. Loses weight. I then try and fatten her up with other food she likes, she puts weight on, goes off the food... you see the pattern here!

I do think she is a naturally skinny cat though and she is also outside a lot at the moment. She appears happy and healthy though so I'll just assume that's the way she is!

PlanD Wed 27-Jul-16 21:52:48

The 'hunchy' thing is a bit concerning though. Do you mean she looks uncomfortable?

cozietoesie Wed 27-Jul-16 22:21:47

It was the 'hunchy' bit that really struck me. Be sure to mention that to the vet when she goes on Friday. ( They can be Devils for putting their best foot forward once they get there.)

WaffleOverload Thu 28-Jul-16 10:41:26

She doesn't look uncomfortable and she's not in pain - she just looks all thin and hunched up sometimes. She's definitely lost weight but as some posters have said, it could be a summer thing

I gave her a handful of dreamies and some cheese cubes last night which she wolfed down so it's not an appetite thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now