Talk

Advanced search

Adopting a cat from a shelter - what do we need

(9 Posts)
Puffinity Wed 27-Jul-16 13:29:18

Hello,

DH and I are looking to adopt a cat from an RSPCA shelter when we have settled into our new home in a few weeks' time. We are first-time cat staff owners, and were wondering what we need initially. Any advice welcome! Should probably also mention that our intended moggie is very social, but is missing a hind leg.

NarcyCow Wed 27-Jul-16 15:48:50

Bowls for food and water. Food 16 different types because they're picky little fuckers. A litter box (we use a covered one to minimise the amount of litter that gets flung around the floor) and litter (we use Tesco's €2.69 one but again, your cat might be fussier). A cat carrier to bring it home in, because a nervous cat loose in a car is not the most fun thing ever.

That's really all that you actually need. Ours have never deigned to use a purpose-made cat bed and prefer human beds, and their favourite toys are bits of foil (off mint Viscounts, for preference - they love mint) and cardboard boxes. Laser pointers and small balls can be fun too, and the fishing-rod type of toy with a feather on the end gives hours of entertainment.

Alibobbob Wed 27-Jul-16 16:30:52

We got a package deal from the cats protection league..... Wooden pellet litter, enclosed litter tray and scoop, wet and dry cat food - the stuff she was already eating, water and food bowl, cat carrier, some toys, plastic cat bed, a scratch pole and a laser pointer toy which she wasn't too impressed with.

She never used the bed or the scratch pole.

I think it's a good idea to get a feeding mat to put under food/water bowls. The fishing rod type toy that NarcyCow mentioned is her fav toy.

Allergictoironing Wed 27-Jul-16 17:15:35

Check with the RSPCA shelter what food and litter they are using at present; changing diet should always be done slowly over a few days, and some cats get very fussy about their litter and will poo & pee anywhere but the tray if they don't like it.

I would ask if I could leave a towel or small blanket in it's pen for a few days before you pick him/her up, so they have comforting smells when they get to their new home - the rescue I got my pair from always put a knitted blanket in with the rescues that went with them to the new home smile.

A scratching post is always a good idea, one of the cats that owns my DSis is an outdoor cat but still wants to use the indoors post for scratching.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 27-Jul-16 19:54:33

More bowls than you think. We have two cats and they eat their meals separately (kitchen and utility) so a bowl each for eating, a double water bowl each and then I have three more bowls which are used for food or water depending on what's in the dishwasher. In the hot weather I also put a water bowl in the patio even though they have access to indoors all the time. Saves them coming in not at all under their paws

A bed but they also have a cardboard box filled with blankets and of course they sleep in our beds.

Scratching post. They also like to use the tree, the carpet, the stairs.

Toy box, theirs is a trug thing from Asda and isn't at all filled with toys.

Collar if you use them. BoyCat took five off so he doesn't have one. GirlCat is good so wears hers plus we've added two bells to warn any birds she's there. Doesn't always work sad.

Cat nip. Drugs for cats.

Food, biscuits, treats.

Insurance.

Broken1Girl Wed 27-Jul-16 20:04:11

Don't forget a scoop for the litter tray, and small bags (nappy type ones, or sandwich bags will do) to dispose of what you scoop.
Goingtobe, Madam BrokenCat has 3 water bowls dotted around to save her the trouble of moving too far grin I have long accepted my role as her slave.

Broken1Girl Wed 27-Jul-16 20:07:01

Oh and some cats prefer scratch sofas - so they can scratch horizontally.

BorpBorpBorp Thu 28-Jul-16 10:48:07

Nitrile/latex gloves for dealing with litter, dead mice and any other unfortunate events. Also for doing spot-on flea treatments.

A fishing rod style toy.

A grooming brush/comb if long-haired.

A feliway diffuser might help but is not essential.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 28-Jul-16 11:30:44

Nitrile/latex gloves for dealing with litter, dead mice and any other unfortunate events. Also for doing spot-on flea treatments.

I gave up using gloves - as soon as I put them on Harry disappeared!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now