Talk

Advanced search

What's causing the sudden runny poo?

(12 Posts)
NineLivesKitten Wed 20-Jul-16 12:15:49

Henry is 10 months now and hasn't give us a minute of worry health wise. Yesterday though he had a really smelly runny poo in his litter tray. And he has had another couple today. Is this just something that will happen now and again? Do I need to do anything? Or wil it just be because of something he has eaten or the heat? I'm slightly paranoid that he could pass something on to us.

Thanks

LokisUnderpants Wed 20-Jul-16 12:17:30

Mine have this intermittently and unless they go off their food or water we usually leave them and it clears up. We're rural so who knows what they catch and eat when they're out and about!! Is Henry wormed?

NineLivesKitten Wed 20-Jul-16 12:31:24

Thank you. Yes he's wormed. But due another dose in the next couple of days

cozietoesie Wed 20-Jul-16 14:01:22

Is it possible that he could have had a go at some cow's milk somewhere? (Eg from a cereal bowl with some dregs in it left lying around.) Most/many cats are lactose intolerant even though they may love the stuff.

NineLivesKitten Wed 20-Jul-16 14:38:13

He always tries to drink from the cereal bowl! And interestingly yesterday I left dh to clear up the breakfast things as I was out.

If it is something as simple as milk, how long will it last?

cozietoesie Wed 20-Jul-16 14:54:53

That could be it then, simple though it is. If he seems/has recently seemed otherwise fine, I'be guessing he ate something that didn't agree with his innards as long as it clears up reasonably quickly. Feed him as normal and see if he's back to normal poos by - tomorrow - say. (He'll likely have a shortish while of no poos at all in my experience. I guess it has to build up again for a little.)

Is he drinking and peeing as normal?

NineLivesKitten Thu 21-Jul-16 07:53:59

He's eating and weeing but less than normal. Only 1 more poo so it's not getting any worse. I guess if he wasnt using the litter tray I wouldn't even know there was an issue

cozietoesie Thu 21-Jul-16 08:00:48

That's true - unless he was caught short and had an accident. One of the advantages of using a tray, even for an outside-going cat.

At least he's not off his food and if the weather is hot with you, who can tell its additional effect. I'd give him a little longer to see if his system stabilises, as long as he seems generally OK.

cozietoesie Thu 21-Jul-16 08:05:59

Is he insured by the way?

cozietoesie Thu 21-Jul-16 08:10:12

PPS - I'm assuming he's already neutered?

NineLivesKitten Thu 21-Jul-16 13:33:59

Thanks cozie. He's neutered and insured. I did have a panic overnight about lily poisoning but he doesn't seem unwell at all. Has eaten well today so hopefully on the mend.

cozietoesie Thu 21-Jul-16 13:50:24

Now you just have to wait for the - hopefully soon - normal poo. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now