Talk

Advanced search

I want to get another cat

(6 Posts)
VertiginousOust Tue 19-Jul-16 15:42:37

We already have one who is very independent and largely unsociable. Dcat doesn't like being held or stroked and won't sit on or by anyone. I'd really like to get a more sociable cat and have been thinking a kitten might be more acceptable to our existing Dcat than another adult? Has anyone any experience of adding a kitten to a one-cat home? How do you manage keeping the kitten in when the cat goes out?

StillMedusa Tue 19-Jul-16 21:05:54

It 's luck of the draw I reckon tbh. We had Portia (not a lap cat but sits near and purrs at us) and got Morph as a kitten a few years later. She hated him.

He died of cancer two years ago and she searched for him for weeks! I got two kittens hoping they'd amuse each other and not bother her too much.

She hates them too !! They tolerate each other but there is a still the odd hiss and slap.. she just doesn't like anyone much unless they have tuna or prawns on them smile

If you need an definitely-a-lap-cat I'd get an adult rescue that is known to be cuddly..and assume your existing cat will hate it but get used to it. A kitten's personality is an unknown and your cat may hate that anyway!

I envy people whose cats just get on.. we did all the right things re very slow introduction, swapping of scents etc etc etc but Portia is just a grumpy bugger grin.

VertiginousOust Wed 20-Jul-16 07:22:57

Hmm, yes I am fairly sure ours will prove to be a grumpy bugger too! I'd really like my DC to grow up with a lovely cat experience though, we always had loads around as children and loved it. So far Dcat really doesn't give much back!
My last cat (died when the DC were too young to remember her) was absolutely lovely, really cuddly and affectionate. One of those ones who'd sit on you with a paw on each shoulder purring into your ear.

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jul-16 09:15:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VertiginousOust Wed 20-Jul-16 09:25:06

The current cat is not much older than a kitten herself - don't know exact age as she was a rescue (stray) but around 18 months old, don't know if that makes a difference. I thought she might prefer being able to dominate a kitten! grin

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jul-16 09:53:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now