Talk

Advanced search

Why does my cat like to eat my elasticated hair bands????

(17 Posts)
winkywinkola Mon 18-Jul-16 15:57:36

It's bizarre.

I didn't realise why I kept losing them. I'd whip it out at night and leave on bedside table and it would be gone by the next morning.

And then I caught her wolfing one down. What a weirdo.

VimFuego101 Mon 18-Jul-16 16:06:33

Actually eating them? That could be dangerous... I'd make sure you hide them away in future.

freetrampolineforall Mon 18-Jul-16 16:10:14

Hide them. If it's a general plastic thing she might be a pica cat - keep plastic bags hidden.

RubbishMantra Mon 18-Jul-16 16:12:30

Mine eats random bits of fluff, and has a good old munch on the Uggs in winter.

Have you heard of pica?

RubbishMantra Mon 18-Jul-16 16:14:45

Oops X posted.

PoodleNoodle Tue 19-Jul-16 13:07:26

Hide them! It could end up being very costly...

Overthinker2016 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:16:44

Mine is obsessed with chasing them but doesn't eat them. He will
steal them out of handbags. I once found a stash of about 40 behind a sideboard!

I think he like the motion of them - they spring about the place and he preys on them.

iwillbemrsminty Tue 19-Jul-16 13:28:33

Mine steal them to play with them. Especially on the stairs. At 3am. Joyful furry little beasts!

cozietoesie Tue 19-Jul-16 13:49:00

They often go for plain rubber bands as well so keep a close eye on just inside/outside the front door in case your postie ever discards any of those thickish ones which have been round piles of letters. I think there's something about rubber for them, unfortunately.

BorpBorpBorp Tue 19-Jul-16 15:34:52

BorpCat2 ate a chunk of BorpCat1's fur the other day. Just licked it up from the ground where she'd been sitting and chowed down. He's also interested in hairbands so we hide them from him so as to not encourage it.

VimFuego101 Tue 19-Jul-16 18:33:07

Oh god PoodleNoodle that's terrible! hope it wasn't your cat.

BengalCatMum Tue 19-Jul-16 21:49:11

My little boy loves them; I think he collects them as I find them all in his 'den' under the bed. So I assume he isn't eating them; as never seen him and am finding loads of little secret piles of them.

Once he saw me put it in my hair on the sofa once; haha
Que lots of head pouncing along the back of the sofa grin

Luckily the little trouble maker has forgotten all about it grin

cozietoesie Tue 19-Jul-16 22:19:47

One of the good things about having cats who use indoor litter trays is that you can actually see what's passed through their systems - and it's brought me up sharply before now. Luckily, none have ever had collywobbles from foreign objects getting stuck/tangling in the gut but that may just have been luck.

I'd be real careful.

FuzzyOwl Tue 19-Jul-16 22:21:49

My cats love elastic bands and hair bands but luckily they don't eat them or else I would have to be really diligent. I think they just enjoy pouncing on them and the fact they flick away from them.

Royal Mail don't help by having posties who drop the red bands they use to bundle mail together on the streets.

LuluJakey1 Tue 19-Jul-16 22:22:10

Stop her and hide them. They can get tangled around their insides and cause peritonitis- a septic gut. At best £1000+ vet bill and very poorly cat, at worst a cat dying in agony.

TSSDNCOP Tue 19-Jul-16 22:28:23

Mine sniffs the emery board when I'm filing my nails. You know how they sniff with their mouth open.

winkywinkola Tue 19-Jul-16 22:36:12

Oh I've hidden them once I realised what she was doing!

Who knew cats could have pica?? Thanks so much for the info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now