Talk

Advanced search

Aggressive cat

(7 Posts)
MrsAgentCoulson Sun 17-Jul-16 10:20:27

We rehomed a rescue cat in February and for the most part he has settled in beautifully.

When downstairs he is loving and calm. His favourite place to sleep is the sofa in playroom whether the kids are playing in there or not. We have a noisy house with a 6yo, 4yo and 2yo. At night cat will sleep on one of their beds. He seems to like them.

We were conscious when we got him that with 3 children he might need a retreat to escape to so we put a cat flap in the spare bedroom door and his food and water are kept in there.

Problem is that his favourite day time place is just outside 'his' bedroom door on the half landing at the top of the stairs and he attacks anyone who tries to go past. The kids are terrified and if I'm honest I am too!

I can't decide it he is doing it to stake his claim on his space - though he doesn't mind once we are in his room - or whether he likes it because he thinks he's got a good vantage point at the top of the stairs.

Any tips for getting it to stop? Would feliway work?

Thanks
😻

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 17-Jul-16 10:31:28

It sounds like playing, mine does it too.

cozietoesie Sun 17-Jul-16 10:56:57

Might you try to put some additional food and water in another place? (To accustom him to the idea that eating and drinking is not just about him but can be a social activity as well.) Maybe even move the food and water permanently if it suits?

cozietoesie Sun 17-Jul-16 10:58:05

PS - what do these 'attacks' consist of?

MrsAgentCoulson Sun 17-Jul-16 12:55:46

Sorry, should have said what he does!

Sometimes he has a mad half hour where his eyes look wild and he races round and I do think that is him playing.

The rest of the time though he just launches himself at our legs with claws out. He'll try to sink teeth in too sometimes.

Moving the food is a good idea, thanks for that.

PolterGoose Sun 17-Jul-16 13:03:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BluishSky Thu 21-Jul-16 21:08:00

How often do you actively play with him? How old is he?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now