Talk

Advanced search

My lodger is allergic to my new kitten

(25 Posts)
EachandEveryone Fri 15-Jul-16 08:16:19

I'm devastated it was her idea to bring her home in the first place. I was never a cat person but after five days I can't imagine her not been here. My friend had a raging sore throat and was getting a cold before the kitten came but today she's saying her eyes are streaming. Is there anything we can do? I'm gutted.

SaggyNaggy Fri 15-Jul-16 08:17:34

Well ypu could wait and see if its a cold? It might clear up in a couple weeks.

EachandEveryone Fri 15-Jul-16 08:19:35

That's what I said she's quite dramatic and they did complain at work that she gave them their bad colds.

Mrsraypurchase Fri 15-Jul-16 08:19:57

Rehome your lodger

Cassimin Fri 15-Jul-16 08:22:53

My son who has asthma and excema was allergic to our new kitten but the allergy settled after a few weeks.
He's fine now , maybe your body can become immune.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 15-Jul-16 08:27:14

She could try anti histamines. If they don't clear her symptoms, it's probably a cold.
It is unusual to reach adulthood without realising you have a cat allergy. Has she never been in contact with a cat before?
Pollen is very high at the moment, it could be hay fever? That can suddenly develop in adulthood.

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 08:32:01

I've had a slightly runny nose and watery eyes for the last week or so but then the pollen count has been way up. Anti-allergy tablets are holding it. (I developed pollen allergy as an adult.)

Has the 'novelty' of the kitten palled for her by any chance?

ApostrophesMatter Fri 15-Jul-16 08:33:39

Allergies can be life-threatening. People here seem to be minimising that.

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 08:36:34

Oh they can be very serious indeed without doubt. I'm just mindful of the fact that the lodger had a raging sore throat and a cold coming before the kitten arrived.

EachandEveryone Fri 15-Jul-16 08:50:26

She's had cats growing up. She's not wheezy just says streaming nose and puffy eyes, do those air purifiers work?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 15-Jul-16 08:51:32

It sounds like a cold to be honest. If she had a sore throat and was getting a cold before the kitten arrived I would definitely wait and see if it gets better.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:31:25

She could take antihistamines, Dh was allergic to ours but as long as he doesn't touch his eyes after fussing the cat he's ok.

Allergic reactions in eyes are very red.

Failing that she can move. Plenty of other lodgers around.

IceMountain Fri 15-Jul-16 12:21:01

It could be hay fever, a cold or a cat allergy. Most people are allergic to cat saliva - you can get wipes to wipe over the cat to prevent this.

She could use antihistamines.

You could rehome the lodger.

It could settle down.

thecatneuterer Fri 15-Jul-16 14:03:08

Try wiping the kitten with Petal Cleanse. It seems to stop allergy problems in a lot of people.

BagelGoesWalking Fri 15-Jul-16 17:11:46

Even though she had cats growing up, she could still be allergic. Happened to me and our dog, after I'd been away for a year but I soon got used to it again (and I have allergies/mild asthma so not minimising bad allergies).

I presume the kitten can't get into her bedroom anyway, so suggest anti-histamines, hoover lots, clean surfaces etc. Hopefully, she will become desensitised in a few weeks time.

Ahem we still need picture of your cute kitten smile

BengalCatMum Tue 19-Jul-16 23:43:11

Is this recently? Like the last 5 days?

Because my DP has got maddest hayfever atm; and it affects it exactly this way. He says he only gets sometimes and apparently this is bad year and time.

Maybe is not, maybe is kitten.

EachandEveryone Wed 20-Jul-16 10:16:41

She's better now but thinks it's a mild allergy on top of a cold. Kitten has stolen our hearts though she's not going anywhere. She's really sweet.

BengalCatMum Thu 21-Jul-16 03:33:04

Awwww so cute. Looks bengal x siamese like our little boy.

What is breed OP?

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 21-Jul-16 03:49:18

Aww, the kitten is adorable.

So for the allergy. An anti-histamine every day, whether she feels she needs it or not. Meticulous hoovering - may be worth upgrading your Hoover. I'd keep the cat out of th lodger's room and have a window open as often as possible too.

expatinscotland Thu 21-Jul-16 04:53:27

I'd throw her out before the kitten, but I'm a cat person.

PollyCoddle Thu 21-Jul-16 05:09:38

I'm very allergic to cats, but an anti-histamine makes me feel better within an hour or so. I echo everyone else to give it a try.

Personally I've always resisted getting a cat because I wouldn't want to take an anti-histamine every day. But that's based on nothing. Does anyone know if they are OK for long term use? I'd love a cat (and obviously would love for your situation to work out too!)

Milzilla Thu 21-Jul-16 05:14:39

Pollen count so high at the moment - if she does have a mild allergy, it will definitely be exacerbated by that.

Antihistamines and regular hoovering will sort, I bet.

Polly I take antihistamines every day - have allergies and two cats. All fine.

PollyCoddle Thu 21-Jul-16 11:36:26

Thanks milzilla

EachandEveryone Thu 21-Jul-16 11:39:39

I dont know what breed she is. Well shes clearly mixed as she was given to me, i took her and all my friends took in the siblings. My friend only has siamese and she can see that in my girl. Id be list without her and i was determined not to be lije all the other women at work that have got quite a collection of cats between them! I cant wait for the flat cat window screens to come she was very upset when i put her in the carry case this morning just so i coukd open all the windows.

BengalCatMum Thu 21-Jul-16 14:52:56

Awww she is so beautiful, definitely has the siamese ears;

Its the eyes that make me think bengal; they are always so wide and active.

Try blinking slowly at her pretty much close eyes for a few second and open again; and repeat a few times and she will do it back probably. Its like a little hello, haha.

I do it with my boy and not sure if its siamese thing; we do it to each other all the time and he comes to do it to me as well when he wants to say hi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now