Talk

Advanced search

Police Getting Serious about M25 Cat Killer - Please Read! From Manchester to South Coast info wanted.

(28 Posts)
MaddyHatter Wed 13-Jul-16 20:27:04

PLEASE SHARE:
We are currently working alongside the police and the RSPCA to find the identity of the "M25 cat killer". We now have 28 cases confirmed by post mortem, with around 70 since Feb 2016 which bear the hallmarks of what is believed (through forensic evidence) to be the same killer.
Most of the attacks are occurring across a wide area in greater London, but we have also collected bodies from St Albans, from Northamptonshire, from Brighton, Manchester and Birmingham with identical wounds and are awaiting post mortem results to either rule these cases in or out of the investigation.

If you live in Greater London you are currently living in a high risk area for these killings. However, we also now want to know about any cats, foxes or birds found with the following combination of injuries from Manchester down to the South Coast:
Decapitations/ removal of tail/ removal of paws/ any combination of these.

Please note that a high number of birds found decapitated are caused by predation injury, but we have one case of an owl who was decapitated in East London with a bladed instrument so we would rather know about them all.
If you see anyone behaving oddly around cats, foxes or birds in the area from Manchester down to the South Coast, please call this into police via 101 with a full description of the person and what they are doing, and quote Operation Takahe in the call. Where possible get vehicle registration details. Please then send us the police or CAD reference number.

If you see anyone catching a cat, kidnapping a cat or fox or bird, hurting, kicking, standing on or otherwise causing harm to a cat or fox or bird in the same geographical area, that same advice applies except that's a 999 call.

If you find a body which bear the injuries listed or body parts (heads, legs, paws or tails) above from Manchester down to the South Coast, please call us on 07961 030064 or 07957 830490 immediately. Please stay with the body/parts if you can and prevent any council or waste services from touching or removing it and anyone from photographing it. Our phones are by nature busy so if you can't get through on one number, try the other.

We advise that anyone living in the greater London area keep their cats indoors as much as they can and let them out only during the day when they can be supervised. Please keep your cats in at night. We appreciate this isn't easy, particularly as the weather gets warmer but you will cut the risk to your cat dramatically if you keep them indoors during the hours of darkness.

If you have any information about who might be committing these offences, please call the team running Operation Takahe on 0208 6490216. If you feel uneasy speaking to the police, you can contact us instead on the mobile numbers listed above. All calls will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 13-Jul-16 21:41:45

Bumping for you. Hope they catch them.

honeysucklejasmine Wed 13-Jul-16 21:47:52

It's so awful. Sick, sick individual.

RubbishMantra Wed 13-Jul-16 22:16:21

I'd be of the opinion that this is the "work" of more than one individual, given the huge area that these disgusting killings/mutilations are taking place within. Or perhaps copying the original killer?

I really think the internet is the place for coppers to start looking - unless it is the "work" of an individual who travels extensively, through work.

Surely the police are taking (human) DNA samples from these poor animals?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 13-Jul-16 22:22:37

I've been following this quite closely (there have been some killings very close to where I live) and apparently forensic evidence points to it being one killer and not copy cats. From what I understand there has been no DNA on the bodies.

MaddyHatter Wed 13-Jul-16 22:23:52

Copycats possibly.

I live in Shropshire and we've had some mutilated cats and swans recently, decapitated, legs and tails missing and so on.

The people who's cats they were, were advised to report to this Operation as possibly copycat attacks.

RubbishMantra Wed 13-Jul-16 22:27:21

And I am so glad this is being taken seriously by law enforcement.

My DSis saw some truly awful things done to animals (by their owners and randoms) when she was a WPC. It wasn't taken lightly, and the perps. did jail time.

MissBeaHaving Wed 13-Jul-16 22:42:47

This is beyond vile,I hope they catch the culprit ASAP,I can't bear to think of how the poor animals suffered.sad

I sincerely hope that if anyone had suspicions about someone they know regarding these horrific incidents, that they would come forward and report them.
This needs to stop!!!

Vinorosso74 Wed 13-Jul-16 22:46:43

I was wondering what was going on with this as all has gone quiet in the news.
Am glad it's being taken seriously as this is sick and they need to be caught. There was a kitten killed not far from us and believed to be by this person.
Our cat is kept in at nights and she's fine with that. I do worry when I see cats out at night especially as I like to stroke random cats in the street. If they run away I guess they're the safer ones.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 14-Jul-16 09:27:20

Unfortunately it hasn't gone quiet. It might not be in the news at the moment but there are still regular killings, the last one being on 11th July. I follow SNARL (South Norwood Animal Rescue and Liberty) on Facebook and they are doing a brilliant job working with the police to try to bring the killer to justice.

Ticklethosetoes Thu 14-Jul-16 09:38:33

This has been going on since the mid 90's I'm so pleased the police are finally taking it seriously. I called it in when they thought it was just croydon and the RSPCA were so dismissive that the person i was talking about was not the same person who was doing it from the mid 90's in North London. But there are a lot of awful similarities as to how they are found etc.
The police didn't want to know in the 90's and 00's so I'm really pleased they do now.

Vinorosso74 Thu 14-Jul-16 10:27:22

Pink I've just had a look on the SNARL Facebook page and it certainly hasn't gone quiet. I think the press have stopped reporting on it with all the political turmoil (not a topic for The Litter Tray).
Well the sooner the culprit is caught the better to stop anymore animals being killed or injured. I hope they get a long sentence too as they could easily start on humans too.

cozietoesie Thu 14-Jul-16 11:35:31

There was a poster, recently, whose cat lost a limb to a blade of some sort - her vet had never seen anything like it if I recall. I don't know where she lived though.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 14-Jul-16 11:44:59

It sounds as if they are branching out into other animals which is concerning, could be a child next. Fortunately mine are always back at night and dgirl cat here on my lap MNing with me now.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 14-Jul-16 12:52:17

Mine is always in at night and next month we are going to be cat proofing the garden. Sadly one of the victims was very close to where I live and there have been several others close enough to get me worried. Luckily Harry is happy to potter in the back garden - he's never been a roamer and even less so since he broke his jaw.

SNARL are doing amazing work and I certainly don't envy them all the things they've seen.

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Fri 15-Jul-16 17:47:56

Connected? www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14622024.Pets_decapitated_and_laid_out_for_school_children_to_find__RSPCA_investigating__horrific__discovery/

AvocadosAtLaw Mon 01-Aug-16 13:55:37

Also maybe connected?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-36939284

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 01-Aug-16 14:09:47

Sickening. No doubt we'll hear what terrible upbringings they had but as far as I'm concerned they are little shits who deserve everything they get (which won't be enough) and more. Those poor cats.

cozietoesie Mon 01-Aug-16 14:14:50

It's not just cats though. (It seems a matter of opportunity and ease of committing the offence more than anything else - so I guess cats, who often wander in the public street at night, are prime targets.) sad

AvocadosAtLaw Mon 01-Aug-16 14:22:03

The elder boy charged in the case I posted has links to London, which is what put the Croydon one in my mind.

I won't post his name but lets just say that his personal info and photo are going viral on Facebook!

MoonfaceAndSilky Mon 01-Aug-16 14:24:48

So this is the same person as the Croydon cat killer?
The police have to take it seriously because most serial killers start off with killing animals then progress to children/adults. Have they tried looking on CCTV? Surely a person loitering in the dark would show up? I can't believe no-one has seen a person acting suspiciously. It is a very long distance for someone to travel - could it be different people acting together? Some kind of cult?
I read that the animals were taken away to do the mutilation and then put back somewhere 'on show' where lots of people would see it. Sick bastard(s).

MoonfaceAndSilky Mon 01-Aug-16 14:28:43

I won't post his name but lets just say that his personal info and photo are going viral on Facebook!

Oh dear, that would be a shame if any harm came to him!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 01-Aug-16 14:37:52

So this is the same person as the Croydon cat killer?
I haven't read anything to suggest this yet.

Have they tried looking on CCTV? Surely a person loitering in the dark would show up? I can't believe no-one has seen a person acting suspiciously.
A lot of the killings have taken place where there is no CCTV and many residential cameras are dummies. The police have no idea of the killer's route so it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

It is a very long distance for someone to travel - could it be different people acting together?
The police and SNARL haven't ruled out more than one person being involved but forensic evidence points to one person doing the killings.

Some kind of cult?
I think this has been ruled out.

I read that the animals were taken away to do the mutilation and then put back somewhere 'on show' where lots of people would see it. Sick bastard(s).
Exactly. I told DH if I ever suspected him of being cruel to animals (he wouldn't, he's as soft as me) he wouldn't go to trial as I would kill him first.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 01-Aug-16 14:38:36

People should be careful doing this as it could jeapardise a trial.

Vinorosso74 Mon 01-Aug-16 15:21:14

God you'd hope the cats would be safe in a rescue centre. Sickening.
Our cat is kept in at nights but the amount I see (and hear being bullied by the neighbourhood Tom cat) out at night does concern me.
I agree best not to spread names in case it affects a trial!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now