Talk

Advanced search

New kitten - anything else I need?

(12 Posts)
MaggieMcVitie Mon 11-Jul-16 17:03:41

So...we've adopted a kitten. Not planned, I found her in the road last night. We had a kitten a couple of years ago but she got hit by a car and died at 9months old. We said never again but I couldn't leave this one there. We have a dog, but she is adorable and very placid - if a bit disgruntled at the appearance of the kitten.
Went to vet this am, checked over, first set of vacs and wormed. Then nipped to Pets at Home for bed and litter tray, a few toys,dried food and collar. Anything else I need? Also, if we do eventually let her out - if we let her out the back of the house away from the road, will that become her territory (ie; away from the main road)?

kimlo Mon 11-Jul-16 17:14:48

Cats can wander quiet far, I live next to two busy roads so mine have to stay in the house.

You might keed a scratch post, mine ignore it on favour of the sofa.

How old is she?

iloveeverykindofcat Mon 11-Jul-16 17:14:56

Wet food. Honestly - dry only will store up urinary tract problems for the future. Pet insurance - get it now when she's young and healthy. That should sort you for the moment.

Is there any way you could secure your garden so she can go out but not roam freely? I've done it in a few places now and really find it the best solution.

MaggieMcVitie Mon 11-Jul-16 18:15:46

Wet food? Ok, I thought dry for teeth! Could get large rear yard fairly secure, just one gate that needs replacing anyway...
She's 8 weeks according to vets guesstimate. Tortoiseshell and white. They have put a notice up at the vets to say she's been found but no chip or record...

MaggieMcVitie Mon 11-Jul-16 18:16:40

Cute huh!

StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 11-Jul-16 18:19:14

Aw - she's gorgeous!

Have to echo the insurance recommendation.. really important!

MaggieMcVitie Mon 11-Jul-16 18:25:54

Ok, DDog insured with Sainsburys so I'll give them a ring and see if they'll do a deal!

MaggieMcVitie Mon 11-Jul-16 18:29:19

Opinions re: food greatly appreciated! Brand etc...

StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 11-Jul-16 19:00:05

Wet food - it's good to give her something high in meat content and preferably grain free. Butchers Classic is in most supermarkets and is really reasonably priced. If you're happy to splash a little more cash, then Natures Menu is excellent. Having said that - those are for adult cats, I've never had a kitten so not sure if they'd be suitable!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 11-Jul-16 19:19:13

Omg that is one cute kitten. How come I never find kittens?.

roseteapot101 Mon 11-Jul-16 19:32:53

you let them out at a year old they are less likely to get into trouble at a year.I get good food online from zooplus.Look for named ingredients like chicken ,beef avoid stuff with wheat,corn or maize.

bozita suitable wet food for cats and kittens good stuff from there

iloveeverykindofcat Tue 12-Jul-16 06:36:15

Adorable smile

I use Nature's Menu and Thrive. Other good brands are James Wellbeloved, Lily's Kitchen, Meowing Heads - basically you want a high meat content and no grain. As to teeth - you can start training her to have her teeth brushed from now. This is how you do it;

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/2486247-Training-cats-to-have-their-teeth-brushed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now