Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have both indoor and outdoor cats?

(14 Posts)
Yoghurty Mon 11-Jul-16 15:55:04

I have an 11 year old moggie who is an indoor/outdoor cat who uses a cat flap and comes and goes as she pleases.

We're looking at getting a second cat, but due to the breed, it's advised that we keep him indoors.
I've already looked into having an outdoor enclosure built that he could access from a separate cat flap, and current moggie's cat flap could be changed to a magnetic/microchip flap to ensure only she uses it.

Question is, am I foolish in thinking that I can manage one cat who goes out and one who doesn't?

Does anyone have cats in this situation and can tell me if this will work? Have googled and can't find anything but I'm sure this can't be a complete unknown!

TIA

SoupDragon Mon 11-Jul-16 15:57:25

I think you might end up with an indoor cat who follows the other cat out before the cat flap shuts and can't get back in!

Yoghurty Mon 11-Jul-16 16:01:51

That's the kind of thing I'm thinking of! I'm wondering whether it would be better to cat proof our garden, but then I'm restricting existing cat to just the backyard.

FuzzyOwl Mon 11-Jul-16 16:01:56

I have done in the past and we just did away with the cat flap so the outdoor cat had to rely on being called in or going out when we opened the door. It worked fine, especially if you have a garage or shed that you can put a flap in the door of, so the cat has shelter in case of a downpour.

WeirdAndPissedOff Mon 11-Jul-16 22:31:19

I'd recommend the same as Fuzzy.
While we've never had purely indoor cats all except the eldest are indoors overnight, and we're whilst kittens.
The only reliable way we found was to let them out ourselves - though it soon drives you up the wall. grin

Macarena1990 Tue 12-Jul-16 13:39:39

I think all breeders now stipulate that their cats be kept inside. If you are happy to let the new addition out then I would.. I and every person I know who has a pedigree lets them out and we are in London!! Not sure why but they tend to stay closer to home than moggies.

fenneltea Tue 12-Jul-16 19:42:53

I have three outdoor cats and two indoors.

I keep the cat flap on in only so the cats have to ask to be out and it gets locked completely at night. It works well for us.

The only issue was when the wind blew it open, but a change of flap sorted that. I did have a determined cat flap smasher at one point so we has to make another lockable flap over the top!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 12-Jul-16 20:12:35

I've had Persian chinchillas and a Bengal, they've all gone out but both breeds can be advertised as indoor only.

The thick as mince chinchilla stayed in of her own accord.

Yoghurty Wed 13-Jul-16 13:03:04

Thanks everyone,

We've been thinking about how we best manage this.
Fuzzy and Weird- we don't have an outbuilding or garage, so we couldn't do this. Having said that, Moggie has a standard routine, so letting in and out wouldn't be too much trouble.

Macarena- we're in London too. The concern is really that the breed we're planning on getting is so friendly that they'd let anyone pick them up and walk off with them. That's why we're considering keeping them in.

Fennel- that's not a bad idea. That could definitely work- as I said, current cat has pretty set routine.

Fluffy- 'Thick as mince Chinchilla' had me snorting! There are Bengals on our road that are allowed out. We've nicknamed one of them 'Shouty' grin
I'm not concerned about letting him out, iyswim, I think I'm more worried about people!

cozietoesie Wed 13-Jul-16 13:29:35

I've had them in the same house and we had our cordon sanitaire within the house and not right at the door. It worked fine due to the layout of that particular house.

MaddyHatter Wed 13-Jul-16 22:41:16

We did it short term for 8 months as i refused to let the kitten out until he was 10mo because he's such a small (3.5k) boy.

We dont have a flap, so its a matter of letting the one out and listening when she wanted to come back in. What we did was leave the back door open for the older cat, and then shut the door to that room, so she could come in and out and the kitten got the run of the rest of the house, it was just a matter of making sure we had hold of him or knew where he was before we opened the door to the other room!

Its a lot of hassle tbh!

ArfurFacksake Wed 13-Jul-16 22:54:18

What breed? Curious smile

Macarena1990 Fri 15-Jul-16 13:30:00

Rag doll??

We have a British Shorthair. She is so stuck up - no way would she allow anyone to pick her up, us included!!

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 13:35:35

I don't reckon I'd much like to be picked up if I were a cat either. Just imagine how you would feel if some 40ft giant came over and hoicked you off the ground by putting their arm around your midriff or chest? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now