What would be best?

(25 Posts)
NeedACleverNN Fri 08-Jul-16 18:20:30

Nothing is set in concrete yet but my nan is talking about a little holiday away to butlins with me, dh, her and the two children.

Sounds good but what would be the best thing for Toots?

Cattery or pet sitter?

It won't be until September and she will be neutered in the next 4 weeks

cozietoesie Fri 08-Jul-16 18:29:53

Are you talking a 'formal' cat sitter or does she have somebody in mind - a neighbour for example - that might oblige for a short break?

NeedACleverNN Fri 08-Jul-16 18:38:00

Formal cat sitter. Neighbour is ok. We have a few words now and then but not enough to trust to do this.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 08-Jul-16 18:42:38

I have a formal cat sitter and she's great. Works really well for my two as they wouldn't cope in a cattery.

NeedACleverNN Fri 08-Jul-16 18:48:04

Yeah that's one reason why I'm leaning towards a sitter.

I have vivid memories of taking my cats to the cattery when I was little and how much they hissed and swore at me. I then got a lovely cold shoulder a few days of return.

But then toots will only be about 6 months old so should adapt easily shouldn't she? And she would be safer in a cattery as no chance of getting out

YesItsMeIDontCare Fri 08-Jul-16 18:51:18

Catteries ain't like they used to be. Decent ones have big pens, indoor bits, outdoor bits, climbing bits, heated bits...

But Leroy will have a pet sitter!

NeedACleverNN Fri 08-Jul-16 18:54:48

What would work out cheaper?

not stingy at all

NeedACleverNN Fri 08-Jul-16 18:58:49

Actually a quick google looks like the cattery would be cheaper

£7.60 on average a day compared to around £6.50 an hour. That's a huge difference

cozietoesie Fri 08-Jul-16 18:59:43

A formal sitter might not be cheap - depending on what they were engaged to do - although probably cheaper than a cattery. It's likely to come down to what's best for the cat and also 'availability'. Good sitters and catteries both tend to be booked for busy times a considerable time in advance so if you were going over a school holiday, for example.......

cozietoesie Fri 08-Jul-16 19:00:18

X post.

That's pretty cheap. Have you actually been there?

NeedACleverNN Fri 08-Jul-16 19:01:47

No. Not yet. I will definitely have a look round before hand. There are 3 that all say about the same price.

Heated rooms, ladders onto a sun deck, food and beds provided but they encourage you to bring your own for comfort.

Cleaned everyday. South facing kennels so that they have as much sun as possible

NeedACleverNN Fri 08-Jul-16 19:03:11

And it's during school time so not too busy I should hope.

Was supposed to be my family, my sister and her family, my mum, dad and little brother and my nan.

But my niece will be at school and my mum can't get the time off so close, so it's dropped in numbers quickly

Toddlerteaplease Fri 08-Jul-16 19:06:13

I think it depends on your cat. If my two were outdoor cats they'd go to a cattery but are indoor and don't try to escape.

NeedACleverNN Fri 08-Jul-16 19:08:07

Toots hasn't been neutered yet so doesn't go outside but if the door is open or a window is cracked she's out like a shot. We watch her closely so she doesn't get chance to go over the fence but I think when she can she will go outside a lot

FurryLittleTwerp Fri 08-Jul-16 19:19:26

Mine like the local cattery - they've been going since they were kittens.

It has a good reputation - each cat is individually cuddled every day grin - as well as it being clean & comfortable. The lady who runs it is fantastic.

Whenever I drop them off they immediately make themselves at home, & often don't want to come with me when I go to collect them!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 08-Jul-16 19:23:24

My cat likes his cattery, there's horses to watch and gun dogs to sneer at.

What's not to like?.

One cattery I saw was awful, I wanted to rescue the cats she had.

NeedACleverNN Fri 08-Jul-16 19:27:02

I think I'm more tempted by the cattery if this holiday goes ahead. Will make sure I visit it first though

mypropertea Sat 09-Jul-16 07:33:05

You mention she hasn't been neutered. Some catteries won't take animals that haven't been neutered (or had there jabs witch I mention as a lot of indoor cats haven't). May be worth asking on the phone before you visit, to save a wasted journey.

cozietoesie Sat 09-Jul-16 07:50:13

You may find this guidance useful, OP. The 'list' is no longer current because the scheme was terminated a while back but I think that the general guidance is still good when looking at places.

cozietoesie Sat 09-Jul-16 07:55:34

Sorry. cattery choosing

NeedACleverNN Sat 09-Jul-16 08:40:19

Thanx cozie will read that now.

I said she hasn't been neutered yet. The holiday isn't until September and she would be neutered next month

cozietoesie Sat 09-Jul-16 09:28:54

Ignore the first (attempt at a) link. blush

My device is being sulky this morning.

NeedACleverNN Sat 09-Jul-16 09:30:59

That's ok grin

Luckily the catteries around here seem to tick every thing on that chart.

One even has a sneeze guard between the runs

cozietoesie Sat 09-Jul-16 09:33:34

That's good. smile

NeedACleverNN Sat 09-Jul-16 09:35:12

I'll be finding out the dates and everything today and if it's actually going ahead. It's all speculation at the moment.

When I know for sure, I'll book a visit to have a look round and go from there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now